Can anyobody help me with this?

Thread: Can anyobody help me with this?

Rick King Guest

Default Can anyobody help me with this?

Hi, i was wondering if you could help me out with this since nobody else seems to care on the message board (he he).<BR><BR>Ok, i&#039ve seen tonnes of site that have this , yet no articles on how to do the following:<BR><BR>You know how you have a menu along the left hand side of the page which is basically all links? well...I want to hold the links of the menu in a table.<BR><BR>No here&#039s the tricky part. I want it so that when you click on a link in the menu (which would look something like this<BR>""), all of the related records from a SEPARATE table than menu links, is displayed.<BR><BR>Example:<BR>Let&#039s say i have these links on the left side and i have them in a table:<BR>-books<BR>-magazines<BR><BR>Now say i have a different table with lots of fields containing books,and magazines.<BR>If i click on the link "books", i want only the book related fields records to be displayed in the middle of the page. I guess this is a query, but nobody has written an article on it and i would appreciate some help on it.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Rick

Default RE: Can anyobody help me with this?

Wow, no one cares huh!!!<BR><BR>I&#039ll steer you in a general direction, but unfortunately, I am not going to write the code for you.<BR><BR>To obtain the "book related fields" your query would be composed something like...<BR><BR>strSQL = "SELECT fieldname(s) FROM tablename(s) WHERE categoryfield = &#039" & Request("cat") & "&#039 "<BR>rst.Open strSQL, connection<BR><BR>I have written entire web site(s) that uses this exact theory, I use the same template for many of them, just change the colors, the entries in the db, and viola, a new e-commerce site is born. Well, at least it seems that easy, but it isn&#039t. Anyway, the above should get you going. Just remember that if you don&#039t have a value for Request("cat"), then I don&#039t think you want to run the query and return no results.<BR><BR>Hope that gets you going in the right direction.<BR><BR><BR>Jerry