speed and processor load: One or many databases ?

Thread: speed and processor load: One or many databases ?

Default speed and processor load: One or many databases ?

Hi,<BR>My question is the following:<BR>In terms of access speed and processor load, is it better to use one Database (SQL or Access) with several tables in it, OR several Databases, to do your queries ?<BR>which one of these two options is preferable when we have a site that is visited 1000 times per days ?<BR>thanks for your answer !<BR>Phil

Default RE: speed and processor load: One or many database

The design of your database(s) should be based on the data that you wish to represent. I can&#039t see any advantage to using multiple databases unless these databases have substatially different purposes - since the purpose of you database is presumably to support your website I don&#039t see why you want to use more than one (unless you building some sort of Fortune 500 corporate behemoth, but then you wouldn&#039t be asking...)<BR><BR>Certainly, any tables that may ever get joined should be in the same database. Also, I&#039d definetly expect that a single database with 5 tables would require less system resources than 5 databases with one table each. You&#039ll find connection management and debugging easier if you&#039ve only got one database to worry about.<BR><BR>The thing that really *will* make a big difference is whether you use Access or SQL Server - Access is not designed to scale to more than half-a-dozen users on a local network and is nowhere near as efficient as SQL Server.<BR><BR>Dunc