Validate Mailing Address

Thread: Validate Mailing Address

Jon Guest

Default Validate Mailing Address

I am looking for any ideas (or code) for validating mailing addresses.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR> Jon

Default RE: Validate Mailing Address

Do you mean actual, physical mailing addresses? The sort you need stamps for?<BR><BR>Very tricky - I can&#039t imagine any rule for the format of a mailing address that is *always* going to hold, and nothing irritates a customer more than being told that their address is invalid when they get mail delivered to it every day. I know, I&#039ve experienced it.<BR><BR>Dunc

Brade Guest

Default RE: Validate Mailing Address

Yeah, I&#039ve been sent email before being told my account wasn&#039t valid. I host my own website where I can create virtual accounts at will (i.e. and they all send to the same account. Obviously this irritated me. So for now the only way to validate them seems to be to check for a "@" and a "." Right now the only code I write is like<BR><BR>If (InStr(Request.Form("email"), "@") = 0) OR (InStr(Request.Form("email"), ".") = 0) Then<BR>&#039send them to an error page<BR>Else<BR>&#039it&#039s valid<BR>End If<BR><BR>You could make this better by making sure "." comes after "@" and that neither of these is the first or last character in the string, but so far my code has worked okay. You can&#039t do much about people providing totally made-up emails...