Unable to open registry key... Arrrgh! Why, why ?

Thread: Unable to open registry key... Arrrgh! Why, why ?

Default Unable to open registry key... Arrrgh! Why, why ?

Some time ago I started to get this funny little error message when trying to test my dbwebb on my own computer:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)<BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key &#039Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x398 Thread 0x4d4 DBC 0xb12024 Jet&#039<BR><BR>Then, like magic, 5 days ago it disappeared and 5 whole days I&#039ve been able to get some actual work done! But today, when starting the computer in the morning, looking really forward to doing some coding, it reappears. I&#039m stuck and I think it will soon drive me to total insanity.<BR><BR>What is this message? Why does it occasionally reappear? How do I get rid of it? What is the name of the developer at Microsoft who came up with such a totally stupid, noninformative errormessage?<BR><BR>I&#039m using a DSN-less connection, with MS Access 2000, and the db paths are totally correct. And the database is not open in any way or used by anyone else (I&#039ve rebooted my machine). As far as I know, I&#039ve not made any changes since the last time it worked, yesterday evening.<BR><BR>PLEASE is there anyone here who could tell what is the cause of this, and what to do. Or maybe it&#039s just a curse on my computer that will go away after a day, week or month?<BR><BR>Thank you in advance.

Default RE: Unable to open registry key... Arrrgh! Why, wh

I don&#039t know what that criptic error means either (hopefully you don&#039t have a corrupt registry), but at any rate here is some information that might help.<BR><BR>When you connect to a database, there are now several ways to connect.<BR><BR>ODBC<BR>OLE DB for ODBC (newer and faster)<BR>OLE DB (fastest)<BR><BR>You are using the middle method (the first line of the error says OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers).<BR><BR>Try using either of the other methods to see if this gets around the problem. To connect using ODBC, create a DSN (control panel: ODBC32), and then use the DSN= parameter in your connection string. Or better yet use straight OLE DB for the best performance (and hopefully no error message). When I do this in SQL-Server, I use a connection string such as:<BR><BR>cn.Open "driver={SQL Server};server=yourserver;database=dbname"<BR><BR> where cn is dimensioned as a New ADODB.Connection.<BR><BR>I&#039m not sure what the equivelent is in Access, but you can look into it. I think the driver= parameter is the key to getting OLE DB without going through ODBC. There needs to be an OLE DB driver for Access that doesn&#039t use ODBC, but I&#039d bet Microsoft has written one, since they are pushing OLE DB.