The Basics

Thread: The Basics

Default The Basics

Where can I get the basics on registering a .dll, any issues involved, and getting an asp project to recognize it, i know these sound like ridiculously simplistic problems, but i can find all the high level stuff but not this simple stuff<BR>

SPG Guest

Default RE: The Basics

I hope you&#039re using NT/2000...<BR>1) Go into the "Services" menu (NT: Control Panel) and stop the IIS Admin service. Note which other services it will stop.<BR>2) Put the .dll in the WinNTSystem32 directory. This isn&#039t absolutely necessary, but it&#039s simple and pretty guaranteed.<BR>3) "Run..." "regsvr32 x:winntsystem32filename.dll" (where the path is where you just put that .dll). It should tell you that the .dll is registered. If it doesn&#039t work, swap the v and r in "regsvr32" -- I often mix them up.<BR>4) Start the services IIS Admin stopped in 1).<BR><BR>To unregister a .dll, do as above, but add a " -u" to the "Run..." command line.<BR><BR>HiH.

jason Guest

Default RE: The Basics

registering is just a command line option<BR><BR>regsvr32.exe yourdll.dll (if it&#039s in the windows path)<BR>regsvr32.exe c:pathinfoyourdll.dll (if not)<BR><BR>NT/2000 - you need to stop start the IIS service<BR>PWS - restart the machine<BR><BR>getting asp to recognise it is a matter of knowing the progID or classID of the component, which should be in the documentation for it. <BR><BR>Instantiate with set myObjRef = Server.CreateObject(progID string)<BR><BR>that&#039s the basics!<BR><BR>jason