Bruce

Thread: Bruce

Bruce Newcomer Guest

Default Bruce

I have developed and am testing a web based knowledge base system where the user(a project leader) enters data into several input fields in a form to describe a situation and its resolution. Four of these fields are TEXTAREAs. The amount of data entered can be a lot. It can be keyed in or pasted in from another document. The length of the data in each of these TEXTAREAs can be several thousand characters.<BR> I am passing the data to a script that writes the data entered to a database. I have tested with both ACCESS and SQL Server with the same problem. Actually several problems, but at this point I will describe the most vexing.<BR> First of all, I am taking the data from the FORM fields and passing them to the DB INSERT script via cookies. When I tried using QueryStrings as normal, it cut them off at approx 1700 bytes.<BR> If I paste in(from a .txt file created in NOTEPAD) and the data pasted in is greater than 3682 bytes in length, when it is taken out of the cookie it has been encrypted as QueryStrings are. That is a dash is %2D, a period is %2E, etc. If the data length is less than 3682 everything is roses.<BR> The data gets written to the data base this way. One extra point, when it exceeds 3682, the data string taken out of the cookie has what appears to be another cookie concatenated to the end of it. That is the entire cookie(name=value).<BR> I seem to be exceeding some limit, but what?<BR><BR>

ASP_DRUG_DEALER Guest

Default RE: Bruce

The query string has a limit right around 1000 characters. When passing large data amounts, try using the POST method and the Request.Form. I have never pushed its limits, but I just posted a 8-9 page report to a message board I wrote using this method...No problems.<BR><BR>input area for user (html page)<BR>&#060;Form Action=someasp.asp Method=POST&#062;<BR>&#060;TEXTAREA Name=largeTextInput&#062;&#060;/TEXTAREA&#062;<BR>&#060;Some_Submit_Junk&#062;<BR> &#060;/FORM&#062;<BR><BR>someasp.asp page (process input from html page)<BR>&#060;%<BR>Dim Input_variable<BR>Input_variable=Request.Form("lar geTextInput")<BR>&#039database connection here, add, bla, bla, bla<BR>RS("field1") = Input_variable<BR>&#039close database, bla, bla, bla<BR><BR>You could have also just done...<BR>RS("field1") = Request.Form("largeTextInput")<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>I hope this helps, sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking.<BR>