Filters VS SQL

Thread: Filters VS SQL

Jeremy Lowery Guest

Default Filters VS SQL

As far as performace is concerned, does any know if ADO Recordset filter properties are faster than SQL Select .... Where -> etc.. Of course, you can perform more complex queries with SQL. but for simple queries..

Default RE: Filters VS SQL

That&#039s a darned good question, which I&#039ve asked myself a number of times.<BR><BR>There isn&#039t a straightforward answer, because the perfomance of an operation like this depends largely on what you&#039re filtering. If all else were equal, I&#039d expect SQL Server to be able to do the job quicker because that&#039s what it&#039s designed for.<BR><BR>The sort of place where rs.filter is good is when you want to filter the results of an earlier query. For example, suppose I&#039ve got a set of 1000 records and I want to write a page that uses records that match criteria A and B, A and C, A and D. I can either write 3 separate SQL queries and execute these, or I can write a query for criteria A and then filter the result for B, C and D. If there are only 10 records that fulfil A then I&#039d expect that to be more efficient than issuing 3 separate command to the database. However, if 999 records fulfil A but only 1 each fulfils B, C and D then doing 3 queries might be better.<BR><BR>Do some prototyping - but remember to use operational-size datasets!<BR><BR>Disclaimer: note the use of the word *expect* repeatedly - I haven&#039t tested any of this...<BR><BR>Dunc