ASP Cookie question

Thread: ASP Cookie question

Default ASP Cookie question

Im fairly new to asp, I have read the "cookie monster" article by ian. The question i have is how to pull the user name from the client and use it to name the cookie. Im trying to write a very simple cookie script that just checks to see if they have been on our site before or not, and hold one or two pieces of data. <BR>Thanks in adnvance for any help you can give me .

Conn Guest

Default RE: ASP Cookie question

try..<BR><BR> strUserID = ucase(Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER"))<BR> response.write struserId<BR> strUserID = Mid(strUserID,(instr(1,strUserID,"\")+1),len(strUs erID))<BR> response.write struserId<BR><BR>for more information, see the faqs on servervariables...

Default RE: ASP Cookie question

Thks. I tried that and couldnt get it to work. I looked up server varaibles, and cant get it to print the "logon_user" name. Im using Personal Web Service on a win 98 machine. Im totally ingnorant of how to set and read cookies. Nothing I&#039ve read gives me a complete source code for checking to see if a cookie exists on the clients computer, just bits and pieces which isnt helpful to me.(I want to place this cookie in the windows/cookie dir.) I want to pull the user name and name the cookie with it along with our domain name. The other variable i want to place is whether they&#039ve been to our site before. (denoted by a 1 or 0) Tks.