Mass mailing with CDONTS

Thread: Mass mailing with CDONTS

Rob Guest

Default Mass mailing with CDONTS

Hello.<BR><BR>I have a database with about 1200 users in it.<BR>They all need to be sent an email detailing a <BR>new member service. We are using CDONTS for mail<BR>on the system. The mail details will change<BR>based on criteria of their membership.<BR><BR>How do I go about sending a message to all these users?<BR>I can only imagine that a mail loop will cause big problems<BR>going through that much data and emailing each.<BR><BR>Thanks to all.<BR><BR><BR>Rob

Rodders Guest

Default RE: Mass mailing with CDONTS

If the e-mail text is going to be the same for each person, then you can add all their addresses to the &#039to&#039 line, e.g.:<BR><BR>&#039open database connection<BR>Set rs = conn.Execute("SELECT Email FROM Users")<BR>addresses = rs("Email")<BR>do while not rs.eof<BR>addresses = addresses & "," & rs("Email")<BR>rs.movenext<BR>loop<BR>rs.close<BR> conn.close<BR>set rs = nothing<BR>set conn = nothing<BR>set cdo = Server.CreatObject("CDONTS.NewMail")<BR>cdo.To = addresses<BR><BR>Your &#039to&#039 line now looks something like &,,help@microsoft. com&#039<BR><BR>Then do all the other stuff (from, subject, body, etc.) and send it.

should work, except you had slight syntax error.<BR><BR>do samething but<BR><BR>addresses = rs("Email")<BR>rs.movenext<BR>do while not rs.eof<BR>addresses = addresses & "," & rs("Email")<BR>rs.movenext<BR>loop<BR><BR>or you will repeat initial email

Rob Guest

Thanks guys but this is not going to work and is far too unprofessional. I have 1600 members to send mail to.<BR>I have heard that sending the at each loop will work fine.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help though.<BR><BR>Rob

Ian Stallings Guest

Have you checked out some mailing list software like Listserv?<BR>That way you would just have to generate one email and send<BR>it to the entire list. This is the "professional" and correct<BR>way to accomplish this. <BR><BR>Looping 1600 times to send email is not good. Your resources<BR>will dwindle to nothing. And what happens when you have 25,000<BR>list members? Use the proper tools for the job and avoid certain<BR>disaster.

Chris Leebelt Guest

I have a similar dilemna. What is the answer to this question. Please email