How do I use ASP to access flat file databases?

Thread: How do I use ASP to access flat file databases?

Default How do I use ASP to access flat file databases?

I am using Chili!ASP to run ASP on a Unix box (with an AIX OS) with an Apache web server. I want to use ASP technology (using VBScript language) to build a database-driven web site that will allow the director of Human Resources to add, delete, and edit jobs listings on our "jobs available at our company" web page. <BR><BR>Also, there will be an .asp web page that will allow WWW users to view the current job listings. The job listings he adds will be stored in a flat file database on our Unix server.<BR><BR>From all the info I&#039ve gathered in recent days, I think it would be next to impossible to use an Access database on the same Unix box (I know you can refer to an Access database which is stored on a separate Windows NT server, but that is not an option in my case).<BR><BR>So, I&#039ve decided flat file data storage would be my best solution (my databases won&#039t be that large anyway). <BR><BR>Does anyone have any VBScript code that would allow me to view, add, delete, and edit a flat file database, then present the results of each of those actions on a web page? I&#039ll be setting up a separate HTML page for all four of those functions, so the code snippets can be shorts and simplistic (please!). <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Mike

Joel Nelson Guest

Default RE: How do I use ASP to access flat file databases

Find either an ODBC driver or an OLEDB provider for whatever flat file database you&#039re going to use and you&#039re off and running. ADO is not tied to Access or SQL server. That&#039s the beauty of ADO, if a software vendor writes either an ODBC driver or, better yet, an OLEDB provider for their files that runs on the platform you have (Unix in this case) then you can access the data from a web page just like you would from Access or SQL Server or Oracle or whatever. You may have to dig a little to find out the correct connection string settings for your paticular ODBC driver/OLEDB Provider, but that shouldn&#039t be too hard to uncover.