Thread: Whois

Kevin Guest

Default Whois

Greetings,<BR><BR>I am trying to implement the ability to check Internic&#039s whois database in to my website (NT Hosting / ASP Environment). My question is what would be the best way about doing it? The hosting company I use offers PERL/NT support, but it is very limited in it&#039s capabilities (for security reasons). I have yet to get PERL to work due to these constraints. Is there a way an ASP application can be developed to accomplish this, or would it require some sort of custom component (C++/VB) developed?<BR><BR>Thanks for any help you can offer. Please email me if you can elaborate on anything the could possibly work, or your own implementations.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Kevin H.<BR>mailto:kevin@frogma.com<BR>

fl1rt Guest

Default RE: Whois

to get WHO IS data:-<BR><BR>(I haven&#039t done it with NS, but it&#039s relatively easy)<BR><BR>Use a third party componant like ASP HTTP from serverobjects.com (~$70) and strip out the necessary data from the request string returned from Network Solutions and reformat however you wish.<BR><BR>To strip down, look for some key leading fixed html and fixed end html and strip the volatile middle sections. There&#039s your data!<BR><BR>note: good practice for the "instr" and "replace" commands<BR><BR>sounds expensive, but boy is that ASP HTTP componant a monster for doing all manner of naughty things, but never mind what else it can! ;)<BR>

Ian Stallings Guest

Here are 2 whois components already built:<BR><BR>http://www.dynu.com/DynuWhois.htm<BR>http://www.asphelp.com/ASPWhoIs/<BR><BR><BR>you could use these from an ASP page. Pretty simple solution.<BR>Or you could roll your own. I wouldn&#039t though

Bradley Dean Guest

I just recently purchased Dynu&#039s WhoIs. Although ordering from the company was a bit shaky* the component is great. I use to check domains:<BR>If objDynuWhois.IsAvailable("4Guys.com")=True then ...<BR>and to get Whois information:<BR>Response.Write objDynuWhois.HTMLWhoIs("4Guys.com").<BR><BR>*=They had a problem with their email. Nothing they sent got to me, so I was charged but never got anything. I had to call the number listed with Network Solutions to get a hold of them. There isn&#039t a number listed on the web site! I think Dynu is just some kid. But, like I said, I like to Component,and it was only 20 bucks.

If you wanted to avoid buying those components you could always(providing you had a frame affair going on) use a form with the right values and the right action I.E. theirs!<BR><BR>&#060;form method="GET" action="http://www.whois.net/search.cgi2"&#062;<BR> &#060;input type="text" name="str" size="15" maxlength="40"&#062;<BR> &#060;input type=submit value=submit&#062;<BR>&#060;/form&#062;<BR><BR>Laters,<BR><BR>Dan<BR><BR>