Client Side Encryption For Form Data

Thread: Client Side Encryption For Form Data

Default Client Side Encryption For Form Data

I have read and implemented the VernumCipher found in the article "Encryption With ASP" on ( What I need to be able to do is encrypt the form data client side to send it securely back to the server there to be decrypted and stored in a database. Can anyone give any tips on some code that might do this?<BR><BR>If you want to send something directly to me, send it to<BR><BR>Thanks

toby_2 Guest

Default RE: Client Side Encryption For Form Data

I was playing around a prospective client&#039s site recently that implemented a client side encryption. And it was very elegant. The source code that is.<BR><BR>I don&#039t see a way to hide a generic encryption that can be performed on the client, as the source will always be available.<BR><BR>You could generate a random key each time the page is built, sounds like hefty work, or you could just use SSL, which does the job for you.<BR><BR>

Christiaan Verwijs Guest

You solve this problem in several ways. The &#039easy&#039 way is SSL. I&#039m sure that someone else will post a reply concerning this topic :) i will focus on another more difficult way (because you can&#039t always use SSL).<BR><BR>What i did was download the source-code for the RSA-encryption from and use that to write two scripts: a client-side script and a server-side script. RSA is an encryption that uses two keys: a private and a public key. The public key is hard-coded into the client-script and the private key or stored on the server. <BR><BR>When the visitor hits the &#039submit&#039 button on the site, the client-script encodes the data with the public key. The entire encoded form-data is send to the server where it is decrypted using the private key. This method is quite difficult because you have to write two scripts: one for the client and one for the server. I have used a VBscript for the client, but in most cases i think you want to use JScript because it is compatible with Netscape. However, i really don&#039t know how to convert a encryption-algorithm to JScript. <BR><BR>The advantage of this method: it&#039s very safe and you know exactly what&#039s going on. Instead of hard-coding the keys, you can even chose to use a script that changes both keys every X hours making it very difficult for people to hack your site (unless they hack the database of course).

Quang Nguyen Guest

Can you please tell me if the key you used in your script is 64 bits or bigger? I&#039m looking for some source code that use the key length more than 64 bits, but i couldn&#039t find any. Does any one have any idea?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Quang

Christiaan Verwijs Guest

I use a 64-bit key. I&#039m pretty sure that the script i have supports 128-bit keys though (i don&#039t recommend it, doesn&#039t make your application very fast, especially with the slow RSA)<BR><BR>You can find the script i&#039m using at Go to their ASP-section and search for &#039encryption&#039.