When to use MTS?

Thread: When to use MTS?

Nisha Guest

Default When to use MTS?

If I have an application that does the database operation, then I have 3 options.I can use ADODB objects to get connected from my ASP pages directly.<BR>Another option is to create an Active X DLL place it on my MTS and access the MTS object from my ASP Pages.<BR>Use Site Server to search the database and do database operations.<BR>Which of the three is better and faster?

Default RE: When to use MTS?

You can use MTS with &#060;%@ TRANSACTION = Required Language=VBScript %&#062; at the very top of your ASP page.<BR>You then just need to use "ObjectContext.SetComplete"<BR>on a successful Insert/Update/Delete or "ObjectContext.SetAbort"<BR>on an unsucessful I/O. If you have multiple tables inserts<BR>occurring MTS will make sure that all transactions are successfully completed or none. <BR>

Nisha Guest

I Do know how to use mts, <BR>how do I know if I have to write a component or I should do the same functionality in an ordinary ASP page.<BR>For eg, from a form I want to insert values, should I make a component and have an insert method or can i directly code it in the ASP PAGE using adodb connection objects<BR>

Our web site uses a dll to insert/update but uses mts within<BR>each asp page that invokes the dll method.

Nish Guest

Is there any performance issues?

Boss Guest

Nisha Dear,<BR><BR>Direct ADO will be faster than calling a method from a DLL. Only thing is DLL gives you n&#039tier arch.<BR><BR>löve<BR>Boss

I don&#039t know how fast this is compared to other methods. It is<BR>pretty reliable and centralizes the code which eases maintenance.<BR>One caveat is that that changes to the dll require that the<BR>server be restarted to flush the old dll out of memory.