Reqd. Urgent - Personal Web Server

Thread: Reqd. Urgent - Personal Web Server

santoo Guest

Default Reqd. Urgent - Personal Web Server

I have developed a Intranet site for my company<BR>On one machine I have Installed PWS and every body is<BR>accesing Intranet site with address :<BR><BR>http://ComputerNumber/myweb/myweb.htm<BR><BR>But Can I give Address like <BR><BR><BR><BR>Please Tell me what changes to made or I&#039ve to use IIS 4.0<BR><BR>Thanks in advance <BR>Santoo<BR><BR><BR>

Boss Guest

Default RE: Reqd. Urgent - Personal Web Server

Hi San,<BR><BR>Just open your IIS admin and specify the site name.<BR>Nothing can be simpler than this..<BR><BR>L.K.A.Malam

Jason Buck Guest

First find out what the IP ADDRESS of your PWS machine is:<BR>at the command prompt type WINIPCFG if it is win 98 on WinNT type IPCONFIG. (I recommend that you hard code the IP ADDRESS so that it never changes)<BR><BR>Next you have to update everyone&#039s hosts file on their machines, so if they are using a login script this can be done easily.<BR><BR><BR>----This is a copy of my hosts file LOCATE in C:WINNTSYSTEM32DRIVERSETC On NT WORKSTATION 4.0<BR># Copyright (c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corp.<BR>#<BR># This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows NT.<BR>#<BR># This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each<BR># entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should<BR># be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.<BR># The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one<BR># space.<BR>#<BR># Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual<BR># lines or following the machine name denoted by a &#039#&#039 symbol.<BR>#<BR># WNJ hosts.<BR>#<BR><BR> localhost<BR> WC1<BR> NETBUILDER<BR> GRLS01<BR> HDLS01<BR> MKLS01<BR> hp3000<BR># wnjproxy<BR> Socksproxy<BR> RealAudioProxy<BR> Firewall<BR> wnjnews<BR> wnjmail<BR> image<BR> wnjweb<BR> ngwnameserver<BR> ngwnameserver2<BR> wnjinet &#039This is how my Intranet Server is set up<BR> wnjinet2<BR><BR>At Login just replace their hosts file with your host file, so now all they have to do is type in the Intranet name in the Address line of their browser.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.<BR><BR>Respectfully,<BR><BR>Jason Buck<BR><BR><BR>

Papa Zito Guest

I actually know the answer to this one!<BR><BR>Your computer name is your address, so if your computer name is "Goofball" then people who are connected to your intranet can hit the root of your site by typing in http://goofball, or even just Goofball. If you only have one web on your PWS, then it would be easier to just drop the subdirectory so people can just type in the name and hit it. If you want to change your computer&#039s name on the network (and thus the domain name) go to Network Neighborhood, properties and Identification.<BR><BR>The www signifies World Wide Web, which isn&#039t true with the intranet, so it doesn&#039t work for this.

santoo Guest

Thank You