dynamic content management

Thread: dynamic content management

Default dynamic content management

dear thread<BR><BR>i am building an intranet and one of the main objectives is to build a dynamic ASP-driven content-management solution ... thus allowing certain users to update pages themselves without going through the hassle of learning or knowing any HTML.<BR><BR>this will save alot of time & money, thus enhancing communication within our company by providing more accurate, timeous information, ( and the boss will be happy too :) ) because he now too can say what he wants, whenever he wants :)<BR><BR>we run IIS4 with all the server-side goodies installed. we also have a user-base of 2000 people and about 20 different business units in 4 main regions , served over a national WAN.<BR><BR>the objective : "serve an interface which will allow certain users to update content on the intranet themselves "<BR><BR>the management interface should include some of the following:<BR><BR>1) add, modify, delete page titles ( main & sub )<BR>2) author<BR>3) owner<BR>4) time-stamp<BR>5) add, modify, delete body content<BR><BR>in essence, i am looking for a dynamic content-management solution, but have not the foggiest idea where to start !<BR><BR>i have recently started a crash-course in ASP and will appreciate any help coming my way.<BR><BR>PLEASE HELP !!!<BR><BR>thank you and keep 4guys on the top !!!<BR><BR>phillip<BR>webmaster / intranet administrator / graphic designer<BR>south africa<BR>phillip@dtt.co.za

klovis Guest

Default RE: dynamic content management

Just wanted to add my backing to this question, as I am in exactly the same position. please help 4GFR!

Dynamic Guest

Default RE: dynamic content management

I am not sure how you want to structure your application, but one way is to load your html page dynamically from a database. <BR><BR>You can achieve this by creating a simple data entry screen in HTML where you user(s) can enter/edit the data that will show on the page. Then create the ASP that saves the changes to the database using the form tag and post (or whatever data collection ASP code suites you)(if you are using MS SQL Server or Oracle, Stored Procedures work quite well for the database saving).<BR><BR>Once the data is in the database then it will be called up when the page you want to maintain is loaded. You can just use embedded script something like this:<BR>&#060;%<BR>&#039ASP to connect to you ODBC source<BR>&#039Call to your Stored Procedure or SQL statement<BR>Dim Title<BR>Title = Request.Query("DB_Title_Value")<BR>%&#062;<BR>&#06 0;font face="tahoma" size=4&#062;&#060;b&#062;&#060;%Response.Write Title%&#062;&#060;/b&#062;&#060;/font&#062;<BR><BR>Then just apply the proper permissions to the administration screen by login using the:<BR><BR>&#060;%Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_ USER")%&#062; <BR><BR>(This will give the NT login of the person trying to access the page.)<BR><BR>and that should allow your user(s)to dynamically manage the given content of the page. (You can also load the HTML components dynamically as well by saving the type of component in the database and loading it to the screen using the same approach) One of the disadvantages to this approach is it increases the data being pulled over the network. If you want to avoid that you could use server-side variables, but it would be very messy to maintain.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.<BR><BR>-Dynamic