Thread: Performance

ChrisMMN Guest

Default Performance

I have a login system on my site that stores information in encrypted cookies. I previously had an include file that unencrypted the cookies for every page that needed them, but recently switched to storing them in Session variables so I would only decrypt the cookies once, but access the session variable instead. What is the performance difference (for Server) from having to read cookies vs read session variables?

SPG Guest

Default RE: Performance

Slightly in favor of 1 cookie; probably in favor of session variables after that -- I expect.<BR><BR>This is because a session is nothing more than a cookie with a really wierd number on it which the server can use to find active information. Hence, if I just ask for a "Name" cookie, it&#039s going to be faster than asking for the "Session" cookie to look up the "Name" value. However, if go on to ask for the "Profession" cookie, I -expect- it will be slower than going on to ask for the "Profession" value, as ASP should already have the "Session" cookie cached.<BR><BR>In terms of memory use et all, cookies are nicer because you don&#039t care about them until they show up with a request. On the other hand, the server has to keep track of anything you put in session variables until the session is terminated (generally 20 minutes after the last request). If you&#039re expecting a lot of traffic, this may make a difference. But hopefully you know all of that already.