Can this be done?

Thread: Can this be done?

BigBadJock Guest

Default Can this be done?

I have two drop down boxes populated from databases, however I wish the selections in the second component to be limited by the selection of the first. ie: the items in the second list are the children of the items in the first.<BR><BR>Is it possible to do this?<BR><BR>Cheers

MadCornish Guest

Default RE: Can this be done?

Yes you either need to use DHTML which can be a pain (IE and netscape) or use an onchange event to capture your selection from the first list box and submit it back to the server.<BR><BR>&#060;select name="scottishselection" onchange="document.formname.submit();"&#062;<BR><B R>make sure it&#039s within form tags and then use the Request.Form("scottishselection") in the query string.<BR><BR>I&#039ve done it before so it does work, this is just a theory sort of answer not a full version.<BR><BR>Hope this is of some use

BigBadJock Guest

MadCornish<BR><BR>You couldn&#039t give me an example of this, could you?<BR>Don&#039t know what I&#039m doing wrong, but it ain&#039t refreshing the page.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR>BigBadJock

Scott S Guest

Yes you have to refresh the page after the user selects an item from the first drop down list. i suspect Javascript is the way you&#039d want to do that. & then when the page refreshes just filter the second drop down list based upon what happens in the first. used to have something like this. Not sure if they still do. <BR><BR>hope that helps<BR>Scott S