asp problem please help

Thread: asp problem please help

Javier Diaz Guest

Default asp problem please help

hey,<BR> have a problem, I got an message board asp script, everything else works. But when I try to test out the board, I get an error:<BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. <BR><BR>/fourm/validate.asp, line 55 <BR>Does anybody know what this means.

Default RE: asp problem please help

Basically, you database file somehow was tagged as read-only. This happened to me once when we copied an app to a CD and then loaded it on a new web server. When the database file was copied to the CD, the file was assigned read-only permissions. This, of course, means you can&#039t write any new info to the database. A simple fix that worked for me was:<BR><BR>1. Create an empty, new Access database<BR>2. Import all of the tables and queries from the old database, data included, into the new database<BR>3. Name the new database the same as the old one, and copy it over the old one.<BR><BR>Because you now have a new database that isn&#039t read-only, it should work fine. Hope it works for you.<BR><BR>JD

3. #3 Guest

Default RE: asp problem please help

If the database file has been made read-only, then you don&#039t need to recreate it to made it read-write. Just go to the properties of the file and turn off the read-only attribute. If you don&#039t have permission, get you Sys Admin to do it.<BR><BR>However the problem may be in the way the table is accessed. I you use:<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs.Open SqlCommand, ActiveConnection<BR><BR>Then this assumes CursorType = adOpenForwardOnly (i.e. 0), and LockType = adLockReadOnly (i.e. 1)<BR><BR>If you want to be able to update the recordset you need to set LockType to adLockOptimistic (3) or adLockPessimistic (2). You would do this either by setting the property before openning the recordset:<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs.LockType = 3<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs.Open SqlCommand, ActiveConnection<BR><BR>or<BR> <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;set rs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs.Open SqlCommand, ActiveConnection,2,3 &#039 This would open the recordset as Dynamic, Read-Write<BR><BR><BR>