Migrating From Access to SQL

Thread: Migrating From Access to SQL

Phil Robbins Guest

Default Migrating From Access to SQL

*Newbie Alert*<BR>I&#039m at a crossroads where I just inherented over 2,000 records for my database. At this point, prior to incorporating those thousands of records, my ACCESS database has only 200 records. No problem with performance. But, after testing out a query with the new additional records it is very very slow. Brings me to my question: what is the &#039best&#039 way to migrate to SQL? I would be using SQL 7.0. Can/should I put SQL 7.0 on my current web server or should I have a stand-alone? If I have an extra server just for SQL 7.0, will I face terrible trials and tribulations trying to have one server allow another server to pull data? I&#039m real new at this world of ASP/SQL and just don&#039t really know what I&#039ve walked into.<BR><BR>Can anyone offer sound advice?<BR><BR>TIA<BR><BR>Phil

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: Migrating From Access to SQL

I have done both, have SQL on a different server and have it running on the web server. Basically, if the web server is powerful (meaning it isn&#039t an old p133 or something) I doubt there will be a problem running SQL on the web server. I have a p200 running WinNT Server 4.0 with IIS, SQL Server 7, and countless other server programs for chat and mp3 shoutcast and such, and it runs fine. Keep in mind though that my web site is not in high demand.. on a good day I get about 100 hits to it.<BR><BR>On the other hand, it is not hard to pull the data from SQL on another server, it&#039s actually no different than putting it on the same server. You just point your DSN to the other server, make sure you have a web user with appropriate permissions, and it works.<BR><BR>As for the actual process, I would strongly suggest buying a book to walk you through the process, there are many out there. When I made the upgrade SQL 7.0 wasn&#039t out yet, it was 6.5, and I found "MS SQL Server 6.5 Unleashed" to be very helpful, except that it was a terrible reference for creating Stored Procedures, but that&#039s a different story. :-)<BR><BR>Hope I helped some.<BR><BR>Nathan

Phil Robbins Guest

Nathan,<BR><BR>Thanks for the input on this. I&#039m very picky about what I do with my servers and to me this amounts to the equivalent of organ transplantation or brain surgery : )<BR><BR>This brings me to another question: could anyone post their fav sites for sql/access/asp resources?<BR><BR>TIA<BR><BR>Phil

Nathan Pond Guest

Well, 4guys has the occasional SQL reference, but the best (and one of the only) is sqlindex.com. Although it isn&#039t as complete as I&#039d like, it&#039s the best I&#039ve found.<BR><BR>Nathan