msxml3.dll (0x800C0005) error

Thread: msxml3.dll (0x800C0005) error

Default msxml3.dll (0x800C0005) error

hi,<BR><BR>i am running a script and the following gives me a "msxml3.dll (0x800C0005<BR>The system cannot locate the resource specified. " error<BR><BR>Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")<BR>xml.Op en "GET", server.mappath(myPath), False<BR>xml.Send &#039;this line causes the error<BR><BR>I am opening, using and setting the xml object to "nothing" regulary in a loop to write a number of different files to the disk<BR><BR>can anyone help as to what is causing this error and suggest a fix.<BR><BR>thanks in advance<BR><BR>gelboe

Default RE: msxml3.dll (0x800C0005) error

Debug. What&#039;s the value of myPath when the error occurs?<BR><BR>I really worry about why you&#039;re using server.mappath inside that code, but we&#039;ll come to that in a minute (I&#039;d think).<BR><BR>Craig.

i put myPath in this snippet as an example. the value in the actual code is a part hardcoded path to a folder on the server (same server as the one the asp page is running on hence the mappath) comprising of some dymamic folder and file names selected from a database. it looks like this:<BR><BR>&#039;***<BR>xml.Open "GET", server.mappath("manualsDestination/" & rsManual("manual_source") & "/Test/" & trim(rsTargetChapters("chapterName"))), False<BR>&#039;***<BR><BR>manual_source is a folder name from a database record and chapterName is a file name taken from another database record.<BR><BR> <BR>

please accept my apologies. i have just spotted the problem, a misplaced variable name in my path.<BR><BR>didnt pick it up in my previous set of test data because "source" and "destination" folders had the same name.<BR>rather embarrassing...<BR><BR>please explain your concern though of using mappath in the first place.<BR><BR>thanks for your time<BR><BR>gelboe

Well, Server.MapPath converts a virtual path to a physical one.<BR><BR>So "/whatever.doc" comes out as "C:siterootwhatever.doc".<BR><BR>But then you&#039;re making a HTTP request for the physical file... Why? If you want to just read the file, why not use the FileSystemObject or whatever. Using XMLHTTP seems completely wrong if you&#039;re working with local files.<BR><BR>Craig.

If all you want to do is copy the files, just use the FileSystemObject to copy them.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve not done any performance testing, but I would be exceptionally surprised if it&#039;s not significantly faster than your way.<BR><BR>Significantly.<BR><BR>Craig.

fair comment.<BR><BR>i am performing some replace operations on the data at the same time as writing, this is why I am doing it this way.<BR><BR>thanks for you input though

Okay. I still think this is a really strange way of working with this data, but okay.<BR><BR>If I picked this up from another developer, I would say things other than "okay" mind ;-)<BR><BR>Craig.

Default LOL! Yeah, I'd probably...

...trash the entire page, just on the assumption that if the person coded something this way then the rest of it has to be wrong.<BR><BR>"okay" might be the word I&#039;d start with, but things would go downhill from there.<BR><BR>

Default To be fair about it...

If there was some need to get the *binary* stream, instead of text, this might be as efficient as using ADODB.Stream.<BR><BR>But of course, if you treat it as binary then you can&#039;t do simple text manipulation of it.<BR><BR>Also to be fair, if you had code that sometimes got source from external sites and sometimes from local files, this might be a way to go.<BR><BR>Except that if you are going to use Server.MapPath, then why not, instead, just use<BR> "http://" & serverName & "/" & file<BR>and now you can just use <BR> serverName = "localhost"<BR>when the file is local.<BR><BR>Ehhh... What the heck, we can find reasons for doing most anything, can&#039;t we?<BR><BR>