ASP App not responding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASP App not responding

Default ASP App not responding

Hi,<BR><BR>Some similar excounters and need you experts out there to help out please.<BR><BR>My ASP application was previously coded with a few database objects being stored in the session object. It was run under IIS 3.0 and encounter frequent freeze or not responding after a while of execution. I found out later that by doing so, especially under IIS 3.0, this problem is very common. To solve that, the suggestion is to upgrade to IIS 4.0 and to eliminate the need to store objects in the session object.<BR><BR>I did so, upgraded to IIS 4.0 and amended my codes. But the result is still the same. My ASP app still appear to hang after some time. I notice that there are 2 MTX processes in the NT system process and when I kill one of this MTX process, the ASP app will be back to normal except that the event log say the ASP app has been started again.<BR><BR>So it;s obvious that some pages have run into deadlock in a transaction (I did not even use transaction explicitly), but which one ? Any way to check where went wrong ?<BR><BR>I uses IIS4.0, ADO 2.0, ASP, VBScript, SQL Anywhere through ODBC 3.x, Crystal Report 6.0, ActiveFile Component.<BR><BR>Thank you very much for your help.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>SC<BR>

Francis Robert Guest

Default RE: ASP App not responding

Hi<BR>I have the exact same problem. We have installed all the latest upgrades and service packs for our server but nothing has changed. We have many asp applications running with odbc (for access databases) and many web site that are only html (one of them is a visitor counters). Everything works fine until the server stops responding only asp requests. It may happen one hour after a reboot, or a whole week after a reboot, we never know when it will happen next time. So when it happens we try to stop the web service to start it up again, but an error occurs and we have to reboot the server everytime.<BR><BR>We tried to isolate the process of the more demanding application but with no success, another mistery. When doing that, do we have to set special permissions into the transaction manager to isolate a process?<BR><BR>Any help or ideas would be very appreciated. We have been looking for a way to fix that problem now for over a month or two, it&#039s getting a little frustrating ;-)<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Francis Robert

Francis Robert Guest

Default It works now!!!!

Yes now everything is ok! We have many web sites that uses Access databases through ODBC. One of them was a web counter to accumulate frequentation statistics, so there was lots of access to the databases. Finally, the problem was Access. Now we installed Microsoft SQL Server and upsized the most requested databases and the problem is gone! The server is really faster now, and doesn&#039t stop answering .asp requests due to overload.

Default RE: It works now!!!!

I had experienced the same problem. Here&#039s what I found out:<BR><BR>In most of what I read it had been stated that asp automatically closes open connection after so long. It may be just with Access, but if I physically close the connection at the end of each script the problem goes away:<BR><BR>Conn.Close<BR>Set Conn = Nothing<BR><BR>This little snipplet of code at the end of each page where you open a connection to the database(Conn) cured my problem.

Incredible... so you still use Access as your backend, right, you just now explicitly close the recordset?

Default RE: ASP App not responding - dont reboot

Instead of rebooting when ASP hangs, try executing the command <BR>kill.exe inetinfo<BR><BR>from the dos prompt. Then restart the WWW service in the Services Control Panel.<BR><BR>(kill.exe is available as part of the NT Res Kit.)<BR><BR>Dave

Default RE: ASP App not responding - Access and ODBC

I have had the same problem. But upgrading to SQL-Server is not exactly an easy solution. The problem appears to be with some element of ODBC and how it communicates with Access. This only happens with newer versions of ODBC. I have "fixed" the problem by rolling back to an older version of ODBC. I am currently using version 3.50.36.9. I am probably losing some performance with this, but it is better than no response at all.<BR><BR>To roll back, I just delete all the files in the system32 dir that begin with ODBC and replace them with the older set of files. You can probably get the files from the NT Server CD.<BR><BR>If you are running SQL Server and Access, I am not sure this is a good solution since you will want the newer ODBC drivers.<BR><BR>Dave

Todd Bailey Guest

Don&#039t forget to close the connection AND the recordset ALSO... then set them BOTH to nothing.<BR><BR>

Default RE: ASP App not responding - dont reboot

What&#039s the reason for ASP app doing this? <BR>Is there or a fix somewhere?

Shoope Guest

When you close the recordset and connection, make sure you close all recordsets first.<BR><BR>rsTest.Close<BR>Set rsTest = Nothing<BR><BR>myConn.Close<BR>Set myConn = Nothing<BR><BR>I&#039m not sure if closing the connection automatically closed all record sets, I&#039ve always seen the professional code close both, so that&#039s what I do.<BR><BR>Learn and copy from the Best.