Connecting to a DB on another Sever

Thread: Connecting to a DB on another Sever

Brent Trevel Guest

Default Connecting to a DB on another Sever

&nbsp;<BR>Hello,<BR><BR>I am wondering if there is a way to connect to a Database that is located on another server. For example, say you have two hosts and one allows DB modifications and the other does not but the one which does not has better service and features. How would you connect to the Database on the crappy server from the good one? I have tried various connection strings and methods but always end up getting an error.<BR><BR>I&#039m pretty sure this is not possible but I thought I might as well ask.<BR><BR>Sincerely,<BR><BR>Brent Trevel, WebMaster<BR>Ninja Man Online<BR> <BR>

Karl Guest

Default RE: Connecting to a DB on another Sever

In the connection string, I think you use DATA<BR>to connect to another site<BR><BR>such as <BR>Conn.Open("DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DATA DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("pathdatabase.mdb"))<BR><BR>--<BR>Karl<BR>

Default RE: Connecting to a DB on another Sever

Karl,<BR><BR>Thanks that looked like it should have worked but I am still getting an error.<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name too long <BR><BR>/Include/userconn.asp, line 3 <BR><BR>Here is the connection string I am using:<BR><BR>Set userConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>userConn.Open( "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DATA DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("
    modatabasesDB.mdb"))<BR><BR>Am I writing it out wrong?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>~Brent

Karl Guest

Default RE: Someone Else take a poke at this...

The Data Source property might be SQL server specific..sorry... I can&#039t believe that their isn&#039t a way...but I don&#039t know of it.<BR>I tried messing with the SERVER property..but I&#039m not sure exactly how it works..hope someone else can answer this!<BR><BR>--<BR>Karl