Filesystemobject and NT security

Thread: Filesystemobject and NT security

Default Filesystemobject and NT security

When a customer processes an order a text file needs to be created. In order for this to work, the IUSR_ account needs to be given write permissions to a directory.<BR>The user cannot control the creation or writing of this file as it is all done within the ASP, but is this directory easily open to attack...???

Olav Guest

Default RE: Filesystemobject and NT security

Hi David,<BR><BR>Just a few days before yourself I asked pretty much the same question on this forum and haven&#039t received an answer yet.<BR>Giving everyone write-access to the directory is not an option for me either because of security reasons.<BR><BR>The only solutions I can come up with are:<BR><BR>1. Use NT-accounts<BR>2. Use a database to store processed orders, put the databse outside of the webroot and password-protect it.<BR>3. Use a 3rd party component like SA-FileManager from It enables you to temporarely let the anonymous user use an existing NT-account within an ASP-page to perform write actions and automatically swith him/her back to the standard anonymous account after that.<BR><BR>Most hosting-providers will probably not allow you to have a NT-account or to register components, but it&#039s worth asking them.<BR>Mine will only allow the 2nd option.<BR><BR>I&#039m having a look right now at placing my own NT webserver at my hosting-providers building and using the SA-FileManager component. Bt first I will test the component for a while on the machines in my own office.<BR><BR>If you like me to mail you my experiences with it, let me know ...<BR><BR>Hopes this helps,<BR><BR>Greetings,<BR>Olav<BR>(The Netherlands)<BR>