list box

Thread: list box

Desperate Guy Guest

Default list box

dear everyone, i&#039ve got a huge problem<BR>i have a (combo box)list box, and want to know whether it is possible to create a multiple column combo box. when u click on the combo box, a multi column and row (for e.g nameid, name)will pop up, however when u choose one nameid, only the nameid will be displayed in the combo box.<BR>Let me resume, the combo box will be one row in height, however when clicked, a multi column and row (just like in Access)will pop up and u will be able to select a nameid with its description appearing next to the name id. When u have selected a nameid, only the nameid will be input in the combo box. <BR>thanks

Franco Guest

Default RE: list box

Hello<BR><BR>There&#039s good news and bad news. The bad news is that no standard control allows for the kind of multi-column box available in Access, VB etc. The good(ish) news is that you can create one (I definitely saw a page on it on this or 4-guys&#039 site - search on multi-column or listbox).<BR>The main technique is to use a fixed-width font (eg Courier), with fields of a fixed width (eg all values in the Name column have to be 15 characters long including spaces) and separate the values using a pipe (&#124) symbol.<BR>In my opinion, it looks crap and (even worse) unprofessional. Alternatives could be creating a small table with all the values and a clickable part of the row (ie lay out all the values as opposed to roll them up in a combo box. This also isn&#039t totally satisfactory. You could also concatenate all your values before sending them to the web server (&#060;OPTION&#062;&#060;%=Rs("Title") & Rs("Surname")%&#062;&#060;/OPTION&#062;)<BR><BR>If you add an event to the listbox you should be able to update your screen display through client script once a value is chosen.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Franco<BR><BR>