Info Regarding the "I Love U" Virus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info Regarding the "I Love U" Virus

Default Info Regarding the "I Love U" Virus

i know this is not the right place to put this info..<BR><BR>F-Secure Warns: LOVE LETTER e-Mail Worm Might Exceed Melissa in Severity<BR>Activates by Overwriting Picture and Music Files<BR>SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May, 2000--F-Secure Corporation (formerly Data Fellows) [HEX: FSC], a leading provider of security for mobile, distributed enterprises, is warning e-mail users of a new destructive e-mail worm called VBS/LoveLetter. This worm spreads by e-mailing a file called LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs. F-Secure Anti-Virus detects and disinfects the virus, with the latest update available from <BR><BR>``This worm spreads at an amazing speed,&#039&#039 said Mikko Hypponen, Manager of Anti-Virus Research at F-Secure Corporation in Espoo, Finland. ``We got the first report around 9:00 a.m. on Thursday from Norway, and by 1 p.m. we had reports from over 20 countries. We estimate that total number of infected machines is already in tens of thousands. This epidemic might exceed Melissa in both speed and destructiveness.&#039&#039 <BR><BR>The LoveLetter worm activates by overwriting picture and music files from the local and network drives. Files with extension JPG, JPEG, MP3 and MP2 are overwritten and will have to be restored from backups. <BR><BR>The worm arrives to users in e-mail message attachments called LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs. On a default Windows system, the ``.vbs&#039&#039 extension is not visible, and users might mistake the file for a harmless text file (.TXT). If the recipient opens the attachment, the worm will use Microsoft Outlook (if installed) to send a message to everyone in any address books (including global access books of the organization these typically contains hundreds or thousands of addresses). The messages is as follows: <BR><BR><BR> From: Name-of-the-infected-user<BR> To: Random-name-from-the-address-book<BR> Subject: ILOVEYOU<BR><BR>kindly check the attached LOVELETTER coming from me. <BR><BR>Attachment: LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs <BR><BR>As address books typically contain group addresses, the result of executing the VBS/LoveLetter worm inside an organization is that the first infected user sends the message to everybody in the organization. After this, other users open the message and send the message again to everyone else. This quickly overloads e-mail servers. <BR><BR>In addition to spreading over e-mail, the worm also overwrites existing local script and HTML files with its own code. <BR><BR>The worm was most likely written in the Philippines. It was first spotted in early morning, Thursday May 4. It contains the following text: <BR><BR> barok -loveletter(vbe) &#060;i hate go to school&#062;<BR> by: spyder / / @GRAMMERSoft<BR> Group / Manila,Philippines<BR><BR>VBS/LoveLetter is written in the VBScript language. By default, programs written in VBScript operate only under Windows 98 and Windows 2000. However, Windows 95 and NT 4 users are also vulnerable, if they have installed version 5 of Microsoft Internet Explorer. <BR><BR>

Skippie Guest

Default RE: Info Regarding the

You&#039re right - this isn&#039t the right place.<BR><BR>Too many ASP developers might save their companies a lot of<BR>hassle by getting the heads up by this post.<BR><BR>Next time you should place it on a barn somewhere in Iowa.<BR><BR>-- Skippie

Skippie Guest

Default RE: Info Regarding the

You&#039re right - this isn&#039t the right place.<BR><BR>Too many ASP developers might save their companies a lot of<BR>hassle by getting the heads up by this post.<BR><BR>Next time you should place it on a barn somewhere in Iowa.<BR><BR>-- Skippie

Ian Stallings Guest

Default lamers beware

If you are stupid enough to run a .vbs then you deserve<BR>to get the virus. I mean have they been on the darkside of<BR>the moon? And who write a virus in vbscript? what a lamer.<BR>Im sorry, but I can write better **** in my sleep. <BR><BR>

Default I agree totally!!!

Like Ian said, if you are "stupid" enough to run a vbs file, then you deserve to get hit.<BR><BR>What really pisses me off is how much damage this lame script caused. I heard that it shutdown/bogged down AT&T&#039s mail servers. Come on people, you are a leader in technology, and your employees don&#039t know any better. Please!!!<BR><BR>This doesn&#039t even include places like the State Department, Parlaiment, etc. All of which, I would hope, are as security conscious as can be and should have trained all employees on how to recognize a possible e-mail virus. I mean think about it, if you received 20+ e-mails in your mail box with the subject "ILOVEYOU", wouldn&#039t you think something was fishy. Also, I heard one person quote that she opened it because it was from a newswire. Question - How many newswires send out a newsflash with the subject ILOVEYOU? - duh!!!<BR><BR>This just shows how ignorant most of todays computer users are.<BR><BR>Just my thoughts.<BR><BR>Jerry

who do you think you are? Guest

Jane, you ignorant slut. I mean - Jerry. How arrogant of you and Skippie to think that just because you know a little something that the majority of the world does not, everyone else should know better. Just because AT&T is a "leader in technology" you think everyone who works there has a computer science degree and even knows what a vbs file is? Now that the news is out, people pretty much know to watch out for the I Love You email, but for the thousands of people who hadn&#039t heard the news yesterday, do you blame them for opening that file, especially when it was likely addressed from a friend?<BR><BR>That&#039s why the virus is so effective - simple execution on an unwary population. But I won&#039t blame the masses for not understanding.<BR><BR>Grow up.

Ian Stallings Guest

Default and you are with?

Grow Up? Look, It effected my org just as bad as <BR>everyone else. But unlike everyone else, I have backed my<BR>code up in a nice safe OFF SITE place. <BR><BR>Do I blame lamers - yes. Look, you use the Internet and<BR>it bites your ***, that&#039s your own fault. The Internet is not a <BR>place for bullshit lamers and this will continue to be the <BR>rule for a long time. You have to live by the rules of the <BR>Internet and they state clearly - what you see is not always<BR>what you get. Is it our fault that people have not been taught<BR>the correct way to do things? Certainly not. And can we<BR>criticize them , hell yeah. They&#039re on our turf, ****ing up our<BR>way of life because they&#039re too lazy to learn anything. If it&#039s<BR>not pre-packaged, pre-processed, big buttoned bullshit then <BR>they don&#039t get it. I can criticize them the same way I criticize<BR>bad drivers. They should learn the rules of the road.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

who do you think you are Guest

Default RE: and you are with?

Fed Up Guest

Default More like...

Douche...:-) Can you be more rude? Not every internet user needs to know what a .vbs file is WHEN THE **** MESSAGE IS "FROM" SOMEONE IN THEIR ADDRESS BOOK!<BR><BR>If you knew so **** much why not warn us of it. OH, cause that is a new type of virus. HUGE difference, IAN, between a virus attatchment that shows you a &#039from&#039 that you DO RECOGNIZE, along with NOT BEING PSYCHIC... and not knowing how to get your email.<BR><BR>When you first learned asp, maybe cobal users should have kicked you since you were asking questions, making the true geeks who started here maybe even 20+ years ago, angry that this "newbie" was in on their "territory"<BR><BR>Maybe the military should be mad at THEM as it was THEIRS first...<BR><BR>

Jane (the...) Guest

Default agreed

just curious, do any of you not use virus protections software?<BR><BR>I think myself smart enough not to open an attachment but I do also keep the trusty ol&#039 mr. norton around.