passing values extracted from a database

Thread: passing values extracted from a database

Kim Casserly Guest

Default passing values extracted from a database

I&#039m posting this message in response to your response to my original message yesterday...<BR><BR>First of all, thanks for your quick response. Secondly, I&#039ve read those documents, and they&#039re very helpful - gave me lots of ideas.<BR><BR>Anyway, my problem is, I&#039m confusing myself on which pages to put the session variables, etc. <BR><BR>Here&#039s what I&#039ve come up with:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>session("labid")=Request.F orm("frmLabID")<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>then on the page(s) receiving this info:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>gotlabid=session("labid")< BR>%&#062; <BR><BR>So, first, where do I put the initial session variable, on the login page, or on the customized home page - that uses the labid to customize data? The login page only links to the home page, the home page links to all the other pages that need specific information. Then, do I put the "gotlabid" code on every page where I need customized information?<BR><BR>I&#039ve been thinking about this so much and trying so many different approaches, that I&#039ve succeeded in thoroughly confusing myself!

marlin Guest

Default RE: passing values extracted from a database

Slow down - just remeber a session variable is just that - good on ALL pages for the ENTIRE session. you only need to refer to them on any page when you need their values on that page and you can let any variant be equal to the session value if you want or just refer to it as session("variantwhatever") when ever you need it. when done with use be sure to set to NOTHING to free mem.