"Operation must use an updateable query." What the...!?

Thread: "Operation must use an updateable query." What the...!?

Tomas Lindohf Guest

Default "Operation must use an updateable query." What the...!?

I have a VB COM-object that&#039s accessing an Access 97 database. It&#039s using a DNS-less connection, and as far as I can see all the permissions are set up correctly. The exact same application is running without any error on one server. None the less, when we moved the application to another server we got the following error.<BR><BR>WebUtilities:PostNews Method error &#039 80004005&#039<BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.<BR><BR>The source code is as follows:<BR><BR>strSQL = "INSERT INTO NewsFlash (NewsLocation, NewsDate, NewsHeading, NewsContent, NewsURL, NewsEmail) VALUES ("<BR>strSQL = strSQL & "&#039" & strLocation & "&#039, "<BR>strSQL = strSQL & "&#039" & Now() & "&#039, "<BR>strSQL = strSQL & "&#039" & strHeading & "&#039, "<BR>strSQL = strSQL & "&#039" & strContent & "&#039, "<BR>strSQL = strSQL & "&#039" & strLink & "&#039, "<BR>strSQL = strSQL & "&#039" & strEmail & "&#039);"<BR><BR>Set cnnDB = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>cnnDB.Open strConnect<BR><BR>Set cmdDB = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR>Set cmdDB.ActiveConnection = cnnDB<BR>cmdDB.CommandText = strSQL<BR><BR>Set rstNews = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>rstNews.Open "NewsFlash", cnnDB, , , adCmdTable<BR><BR>cmdDB.Execute<BR><BR>Do anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I would appreciate any help.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Tomas Lindohf<BR>tomas.lindohf@capgemini.se

David Cheng Guest

Default RE:

Did you move to a server hosted by someone else (i.e., did you develop the database on your own machine then upload it)? If so, you might need to get the permissions changed so that the IUSER has read/write(maybe delete) permissions on the directory and file. There is a little information at http://www.learnasp.com/learn/FAQdbUpdate.asp (I think someone else posted that URL in response to another question).<BR><BR>I also believe that if you developed using FrontPage2000 (why would you do that?), it is possible to set the directory permissions from there. I haven&#039t tried that, but that&#039s what I&#039ve been told.

Tomas Lindohf Guest

Default RE:

No, the server is hosted by us. The IUSR account have Read/Write permissions to the directory and file.<BR><BR>No it&#039s not developed in FrontPage &#060;shudder&#062;.<BR><BR>//Tomas Lindohf<BR>//tomas.lindohf@capgemini.se

Tomas Lindohf Guest

Default Problem solved (RE: "Operation must use an updateable query." What the...!?)

It turned out to be a permission problem after all. Further digging showed that the domain account for anonymous Transaction Server access (IWAM_&#060;domainn ame&#062;) was trying to access the database file, probably because the database operations was performed in a component loaded in MTS. By adding write permissions to that user the problem disappeared.<BR><BR>//Tomas Lindohf<BR>//tomas.lindohf@capgemini.se