More CDO fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More CDO fun

Steve Karsch Guest

Default More CDO fun

OK, I installed CDO and tried it out with some sample code, but I don&#039t think the message is getting sent! I sent a message a few hours ago, and it still hasn&#039t shown up. I&#039ve tried sending to other accounts, etc, no dice! Are there any settings on the SMTP server that I should check?<BR>Thanks a lot!<BR>Steve

brad brunfelt Guest

Default RE: More CDO fun

Check 2 things.<BR>1. I had trouble with not having a resolvable address in the from line.<BR>2. Check your event viewer.<BR><BR>I cant remember what my issue was originally...but it will come to me with time.

brad brunfelt Guest

It only takes a few minutes.<BR>dont forget that the SMTP comp. is operating AS a mail server.<BR><BR>It might be best if you post your code so I can look. I generally use this code in everything I do so I might be able to help you out.

Is the current machine you installed it on an SMTP Server? If not, do you have one at your disposal? If you do, you need to go into Internet Service Manager and right click on Default SMTP Site and go to Properties. Go to the Delivery tab and enter the Smarthost as the machine name that is the SMTP Server.<BR><BR>Good luck!! :)

brad brunfelt Guest

Usually the default smarthost is configured by default. What kind of network environment is this in? are you connected to the internet live at all times? I have had to debug this about 5 times in different environments...<BR><BR>Another thing can be the SMTP settings in the management console, and not sending from a valid address.

Steve Karsch Guest

I thought that by adding the SMTP service from the NT Option Pack 4 that I was in fact making that machine an SMTP server. Is that not the case? Does doing that just enable it to talk to an SMTP server?<BR>Thanks!<BR>Steve

brad brunfelt Guest

It actually runs a stand alone smtp service. you wont need anything else except a connection to the internet while your sending. (and it must be configured correctly and running). <BR><BR>check your badmail directory, your drop directory, your pickup directory and your queue directory off of the mail root in inetpub for messages that never made it to the final destination.<BR><BR>also check http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp and start looking around there for troubleshooting tips.<BR><BR>one question: are you running NT SERVER?

Steve Karsch Guest

Yeah, I&#039m running NT Server (I made the workstation mistake earlier this week :) Unfortunately, I don&#039t have immediate access to it, but I&#039ll check those things when I can. Thanks for your help!<BR>Steve

Can you enlighten me on how to setup your NT Server as an SMTP Server through the SMTP Service! What properties do you need to set? Thanks!

Steve Karsch Guest

Well, I got it to work! Thanks, guys! Everything was getting to the SMTP service OK, it was just sitting in the mailrootqueue folder. What we did was go into the properties for the SMTP service and set the smarthost to our regular mail gateway, and left the box that said "Attemp direct delivery before sending to smarthost" unchecked, so it would send the mail to the gateway all the time. That did it! I hope that helps anyone else having a similar problem.<BR>Thanks again!<BR>Steve