urgently need a solution(tough 1)

Thread: urgently need a solution(tough 1)

help me Guest

Default urgently need a solution(tough 1)

i wana access a database table in oracle on a remote server(not in my network.i know its IP address) through an ASP script which will be running on my server.so far i know the name of a table in that database and name of the dsn connection(if it can help). i require the solution urgently<BR>thnx

Brad Kingsley Guest

Default RE: urgently need a solution(tough 1)

What error do you get when you create the DSN? There is no reason this should not work unless there is a mis-configured DSN -- or perhaps a firewall in the way. Just make sure the transport is set to TCP/IP.<BR><BR>-Brad Kingsley, MCP - NT, IIS4<BR>Reliable Windows NT Web Hosting<BR>ORCS Web, Inc - http://www.ORCSWeb.com<BR><BR>

imran ali Guest

Default thnx for replyin brad BUT......

thnx brad but the problem is that i neeed a code for the connection with that oracle database using that dsn.as wel as for making recordset. <BR>to make things clear... <BR>the DSN i know is being used by a website which is using that database. the site is made in cold fusion. some how i came to know the dsn name and the table name of the database.<BR>the site belongs to my friend and he have challenged me that you can&#039t retrieve the data from database using ASP script form the other server(thts my server). i think it will be a setback for ASP programmers if thr is no solution or trick to do that. please reply as soon as possible

Default RE: thnx for replyin brad BUT......

You will need the logon information (ie logon name and password) with permissions to the table you are trying to hit. As with Cold Fusion, you have to set up a DSN on the IIS server you are using. Once this is done, Cold Fusion / ASP can connect to the Oracle server and query the database (providing you have a logon with permissions).<BR><BR>So if you &#039challenge&#039 is to prove that ASP can talk to OracleDB like Cold Fusion, this is easily won.<BR>

Default RE: thnx for replyin brad BUT......

as john stated, provided the DSN is configured on the webserver box(and along with knowing the username and password to the database for the connection string)...this is EASILY (not to mention FREQUENTLY) DONE via ASP.<BR><BR>Set DBConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>SQLDSN= "DSN=dsn_name_here;UID=uname_here;pwd=pwd_here"<BR >DBConnection.Open(SQLDSN)<BR><BR>i do this on a daily basis (connect to oracle db which resides on a different box than a webserver).<BR><BR>cold fusion shmusion. :)