...or at least I think this is part III ;o)<BR><BR>I&#039;ve been working sporadically on a project off and on. I&#039;ve just gotten back into it after 3 or so weeks and I think it&#039;s time I step back and re-analyze what I&#039;m trying to do. I&#039;ve asked this question before and gotten some good responses. I&#039;m trying to now step back, look at what I&#039;m trying to do, and compare the various options in hopes of seeing which one is better (if any).<BR><BR>Here&#039;s what I am attempting to do:<BR><BR>I have 10 aspx pages:<BR><BR>site1.aspx, site2.aspx, etc<BR><BR>these are all &#039;mini-sites&#039;. Different parts of a main site that will all pretty much share similiar functionality (hence, they will share usercontrols).<BR><BR>Each page will be IDed via a querystring:<BR><BR>site1.aspx?page=1, site1.aspx?page=2, site1.aspx?page=3 etc.<BR><BR>I&#039;m then story page-centric variables in an XML file. For instance, each page will have a variety of related data:<BR><BR> - page title (header.ascx will use this to render a TITLE tag and H1 tags)<BR> - content ID (content.ascx will use this to retrieve the body copy from the DB)<BR> - custom control ID (page.aspx will use this to see if it needs to load a custom control)<BR> - related Links (sidebar.ascx will use this to render some related URLs)<BR> - etc...<BR><BR>What I&#039;m trying to do is have one instance of retrieving those variables and then communicating them somehow to the various controls that will exist on the page.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve asked this before and gotten a variety of answers. I&#039;ve played with a few options and, from what I&#039;ve figured out, my options are as such:<BR><BR>1) have one control read the XML file to retrieve the above variables. Have the page.aspx file retrieve these variables from the control, and then pass it onto each of the other controls that need it.<BR><BR>2) Have the parent page.aspx implement an interface, grabbing the values from the UC. Have the other UC&#039;s read from this.<BR><BR>3) use a function to grab all the variables for the page. Pass these to the UCs that need them.<BR><BR>4) Cache the XML file and have each individual UC that needs data from it read it directly.<BR><BR>Right now, I really don&#039;t know which is the way to go. I&#039;ve lost perspective on the options, I think. #2 seemed nice, but also a bit complex for something that seems like it should be simpler. For #1 and #3, would I need to dynamically load all UCs on the page to then be able to pass a property to them programatically? Is that a significant performance hit? I haven&#039;t figured out how to programitically pass properties to UCs that aren&#039;t dynamically loaded. Originally, I had tossed #4 out as it didn&#039;t seem practical to have eacn and every UC read the same XML file to get a few variables. However, I&#039;m wondering if that might be a valid option...especially if I use the cache object. My concern is that there&#039;d be 10 or more XML files in use (one for each &#039;site&#039;) and would that be an issue cacheing that much data on the server memory?<BR><BR>I think what&#039;s frustrating for this particular puzzle is I&#039;m still thinking in terms of ASP. With ASP, I simply would have included a script that reads the file and sets up a bunch of variables that any other item on the page could see. It just seemed easy...though I agree wasn&#039;t anything close to be OO. ;o)