Please dont yell at me...

Thread: Please dont yell at me...

Default Please dont yell at me...

....but I need to convert this connection string so that It points to an SQL server DB. It has a username of SA and a password of SOMETHING.<BR><BR>&#039;Connection string<BR>DIM myconn<BR>Set myconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>myconn. ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath ("/longlostfriends/database/longlostfriends.mdb") & ";"<BR>myconn.Open<BR><BR>*hides under desk*<BR><BR>John

Default RE: Please dont yell at me...

Here ya go:<BR><BR>< BR>BTW...You&#039;d better believe that I&#039;m going to yell at you for connecting to SQL Server from a web application using the sa account. Set up a new, limited access account, call it something like WEBUSER, and connect using that instead.

Default Thanks...

..Im just testing using the sa account at this point to get it up and running.<BR><BR>Ill be back if I have any problems.<BR><BR>John

Default named instance?

I dont believe I have a named I? The only instance is the default...MSSQLSERVER.<BR><BR>oConn.Open "Provider=sqloledb;" & _<BR> <BR>Im unsure here...<BR>"Data Source=myServerNamemyInstanceName;" & _<BR><BR>Its not just a C:inetpublah blah blah is it? Unlike Access. I didnt create a named instance.....<BR><BR>Heres what I have<BR><BR>myconn.Open "Provider=sqloledb;" & _<BR> "Data Source=localhost?
    oidea?;" & _<BR> "Initial Catalog=longlostfriendsSQL;" & _<BR> "User Id=sa;" & _<BR> "Password=something"<BR><BR><BR>Sorry but Im new to SQL SERVER<BR><BR>John

Default hmmm this works

Set myconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>DSNtest ="DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=IPSWICH_STAF9;UID=sa;PWD=something; DATABASE=longlostfriendsSQL"<BR> DSNtest<BR><BR>There seems to be a number of ways to do this. Which is best?<BR><BR>John

Default RE: named instance?

If it&#039;s on the same machine, then one of these:<BR><BR>"Data Source=.;" & _<BR>"Data Source=(local);" & _<BR>"Data Source=MachineNameHere;" & _<BR>"Data Source=MachineIPHere;" & _<BR><BR>should do the trick. Take your pick.

Default That's fine.

It&#039;s an ODBC connection string, as opposed to the newer OLE-DB.<BR>I don&#039;t know what the perfomance of ODBC vs. OLE-DB is in SQL Server&#039;s case. Personally, I (almost) always use OLE-DB.<BR>

Default yeah...

ODBC seems to chug along nicely. Unless I see reason to change it, Ill leave it be.<BR><BR>Apart from that, it looks like ive got some naming issues in some of my tables. Shouldnt be too hard to sort out.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help fellas.<BR><BR>John