Thread: Problem...

Default Problem...

In the grand scheme of things, this isn&#039t really a problem with my ASP Code, its a concern with ASP in general.<BR><BR>My manager has told me today that I don&#039t qualify as a senior developer simply because all the codes I know are script based (i.e. HTML, ASP, JavaScript). If this was an isolated incident, I would have told him where to stick his opinion. The problem is, this opinion has been shared across many of the managers I&#039ve worked with. <BR>When I ask them to define a senior developer, however, they walk around the question like Bill Clinton at the Lewinsky trial. <BR><BR>I&#039m sure at one point, HTML and web development in general was considered a novelty in the same way the PC was. Now, it&#039s rapidly becoming the basis/theme of the computer industry. These scripting technologies are becoming the thing to know. <BR><BR>Why aren&#039t they getting any respect?<BR><BR>What I really want to know is: is this a wide-spread problem or is it just local the closed-minded hell hole known as Jacksonville, Florida?<BR><BR>Can anyone help me with an argument to give my manager?<BR><BR>Sincerely,<BR>Erick S.<BR>

Ian Stallings Guest

Default RE: Problem...

I think this is probably the general consensus around the US. <BR><BR>In my opinion Senior Developers should have a good understanding of a high level language. And at least 5-10 solid years of development.<BR><BR>My reasoning is this - <BR>Can a experienced developer quickly learn a scripting language?<BR>Yes<BR><BR>Can a developer with just scripting experience pick up a high level language - yes, but not as easily or as quickly.<BR><BR>A senior developer must have experience with OO and scripting barely touches on this. And the fact is syntax is not development. Anyone can learn a language, but it&#039s just a tool and must be used correctly inorder to create something correctly. Development is much more than just sitting down and creating a app. It&#039s having the insight to know what to do and what not to do. A senior developer should have the skills of a project manager and alpha geek rolled into one. <BR><BR>Here&#039s my companies requirements for a senior dev:<BR><BR>************************************** ***************************<BR>As a Senior Software Engineer, you will develop distributed web-based programs, and write professionally- crafted requirement analysis and design documentation. Familiarity with the Rational analysis and development process is desired. A minimum of four (4) years in software development is a requisite to filling the position<BR><BR>4 years experience in OO development<BR><BR>Familiarity with rational analysis and development process<BR><BR>Established Java developer<BR><BR>Experienced in a combination of the following: JDBC,ADO, Active Server Pages (ASP),HTML,Perl, CGI, and IIS 4.0. <BR><BR>Demonstrated object- oriented and database skills with familiarity of at least one of the following distributed architectures: Site Server, Java/CORBA, or DCOM/Enterprise will be necessary in filling this position<BR><BR>Completed four-year degree in CS, EE, MIS, or related technical field. <BR><BR>MCP, MCSD, or MCSE preferred<BR>************************************* ****************************<BR><BR><BR>I personally don&#039t agree with the degree part (considering I <BR>don&#039t have one ;-) But it does establish a good baseline for<BR>a senior developer. <BR><BR>My suggestion would be: <BR>learn a high level language<BR>learn about different development processes<BR>learn about OO Analysis/Design<BR><BR>and the main one-<BR>dive in and build a kick *** app that they can take to the bank <BR>and cash. Talk is cheap. If you&#039ve built a hard core app then nobody can say sh&#$.<BR><BR><BR><BR>good luck!