Efficient Date Calculation between multiple date r

Thread: Efficient Date Calculation between multiple date r

Default Efficient Date Calculation between multiple date r

I&#039;m building a helpdesk application, and trying to figure the most efficient way of handling multiple dates. <BR><BR>This is a basic scenario:<BR>Issue is escalated to the helpdesk, Date for Assigned is Set<BR><BR>Helpdesk rep contacts a customer, capturing hardware. The issue is set to a Pending Status, and a Pending Date is set<BR><BR>Rep recieves hardware, closed pending date is set<BR><BR>Issue cannot be resolved by helpdesk, sent to an engineering department. Date sent to Engineering is set<BR><BR>Issue is returned from Engineering with Analysis and solution. Date returned from engineering is set<BR><BR>Issue is closed, closed date is set.<BR><BR>Basically, what I need is an efficient way to do this:<BR><BR>Time-to-Closed<BR>(Date Closed - Date Opened) - ((Date from Eng - Date to Eng) - (Date from Pending - Date to Pending))<BR><BR>I figure I can do this by date calculation, but where I get stuck at is how would I make this so it will handle multiple status changes (being sent back and forth to engineering, for example)

Default If you use default values...

...for all the pairs, such that the defaults are the same, then the difference in a pair will be zero.<BR><BR>Example: By default, make DateFromEng and DateToEng both 1/1/1900<BR><BR>The diff is obviously zero, so that doesn&#039;t affect the calculations. Yet the dummy date of 1/1/1900 serves as a flag to you that it has never been sent to engineering just as well as a NULL value would.<BR><BR>So no need for IFs. And the time to actually do the subtractions and get zero result will be minimal.<BR><BR>