Search form results and data shaping

Thread: Search form results and data shaping

Default Search form results and data shaping

I want to use data shaping to display the results of a user&#039;s search. I&#039;ve tried various ways of passing the form variable to the SQL statement that is part of the data shaping but have been unsuccessful so far. I can pass exact text such as WHERE PubType = &#039;Book&#039;... But I&#039;d like the where clause to look to a form control.<BR><BR>In reviewing various data shaping examples, I have not seen this done and am wondering if this is possible.<BR><BR>Any help would be greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks.

Default RE: Search form results and data shaping

Post a little bit of your code including some of your form fields. If I understand you correctly, this is easy to accomplish. Lets say you have a form with 5 combo boxes (all driven from database tables)<BR><BR>You want to dynamically build a where clause based on the selections:<BR><BR>If Not Request.QueryString("BrandID") Is Nothing Then<BR> If CStr(Request.QueryString("BrandID")) &#060;&#062; "" Then<BR> If objWhereClause.Length = 0 Then<BR> objWhereClause.Append("Where BrandID = &#039;" & Request.QueryString("BrandID") & "&#039;")<BR> Else<BR> objWhereClause.Append(" AND BrandID = &#039;" & Request.QueryString("BrandID") & "&#039;")<BR> End If<BR> End If<BR>End If<BR><BR>(This is a dotNet sample, but Im sure you will get the Jist)<BR>You would do these checks for all your options and then at the end see if your where clause is empty or not. If not, append it to your SQL.