Excel Spreadsheets

Thread: Excel Spreadsheets

Default Excel Spreadsheets

I have a large spreadsheet containing several sheets, and numerous different formulas.<BR><BR>I would like to be able to read and write to the spreadsheet via an Intranet, what is the best way of doing this.<BR><BR>Thanks

Default RE: Excel Spreadsheets

Hopefully someone will correct me if I&#039;m wrong, but you can&#039;t write to the file via http. So everyone who needs to write to the file will need a mapped drive or the spreadsheet will have to be sat on a share.<BR><BR>I worked this by requesting that users select to download and run unsigned active x controls in their ie options. Then using this code:<BR><BR>function runApp(path) { <BR> var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.shell"); <BR> shell.run(&#039;"&#039; + path + &#039;"&#039;, 1, false); <BR>} <BR><BR>to run the file using the path which is local to the client. Either a full UNC path or a path to a mapped drive.<BR><BR>Then the user can open and save the document as they like. Also, it locks the document so it can&#039;t be opened in a writable mode by more than one person at once.<BR><BR>HTH