So I ran into a rather strange (albeit small) problem yesterday. It appears that the IDs that generates to allow posting form data into it are incompatible with;s perception of an ID for a server control. <BR><BR>Here&#039;s what I&#039;m trying to do:<BR>&#060;asp:dropdownlist id="00X90000000abYZ" runat="server"&#062;<BR> &#060;asp:listitem&#062;...&#060;/asp:listitem&#062;<BR>&#060;/asp:dropdown&#062;<BR><BR>This generates a "not a valid identifier" error. Can anyone tell me how to get around it? Is that even possible?<BR><BR>(((<BR>If not, I need to abandon the lovely requiredfieldvalidators and write my own on button click. Not a huge pain in the butt, but still annoying since this is a nice convenience in the language. If I&#039;m going to do that, how do I test to make sure an option was selected? If I set the first (default) option value to value="unspecified" can I then just do a test like<BR>If Request.Form("myid") = "unspecified" to accomplish this? Doesn&#039;t seem to work...<BR>)))<BR><BR>Thanks for any and all assistance. Very much appreciated!