Speech-enabled Web applications

Thread: Speech-enabled Web applications

Default Speech-enabled Web applications

Hi there!<BR><BR>Its been a while since I&#039;ve posted here but I always come back when I want to consult with the pros.<BR><BR>Now I&#039;m slowly checking this *new* thing called speech-enabled Web applications and before I get started I was wondering if it was possible for a browser to detect if a user has a sound card.<BR><BR>Ideally, I would like to detect if the user has speakers plugged in but I beleive its impossible therefore I need to check if the user has a sound card installed.<BR><BR>But what if the sound card is embedded on the motherboard?<BR><BR>I&#039;d like to be able to detect one or the other.<BR><BR>So I&#039;ve googled around and didn&#039;t find any valuable example...<BR>Probably because it is not possible!<BR><BR>So I&#039;m asking you if there is a cleaver way to find out if the user can hear/play sounds within his/her browser.<BR><BR>Any imput/suggestion on that would be great!<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR>Sincerely<BR><BR>Vlince

Default RE: Speech-enabled Web applications

You would have to use some kinda client-side ActiveX control...<BR><BR>Craig.

Default Just ask the user ...

Get your page to play a .wav file.<BR><BR>Something like "Please click the &#039;I have a sound card&#039; button"<BR><BR>If they don&#039;t have one, they won&#039;t hear the .wav file and won&#039;t click.<BR><BR>Sorry, I couldn&#039;t help myself.