ADO.NET - SqlHelper question

Thread: ADO.NET - SqlHelper question

Default ADO.NET - SqlHelper question

Does anyone know how the SqlHelper functionality in the Microsoft Data Access Application Block works? I need to know what happens in the SqlHelper.FillDataset() method when you pass in a connection string as the first parameter. <BR><BR>Does FillDataset create a connection to the database and close it before returning to the calling function, or does it stay open and wait for the garbage collector? <BR><BR>FillDataset is overloaded, and currently we&#039;re using it with #2, which accepts a connection string, command type, command text, dataset, table name(s), and parameters) this:<BR><BR> sqlParameters(0) = CreateSqlIntParameter("@RowId", 10, RowId)<BR> sqlParameters(1) = CreateSqlVarcharParameter("@RowType", 8, RowType)<BR> <BR> &#039; Populate the dataset with reader rows<BR><BR> SqlHelper.FillDataset(ConnectionString, _<BR> CommandType.StoredProcedure, _<BR> "my_StoredProcedure", _<BR> myDataset, _<BR> New String() {"myTable"}, _<BR> sqlParameters) <BR><BR>One of the other possibilities is to open a SqlConnection, and pass the connection into the first parameter rather than the string. The I would be responsible for closing the connection manually.<BR><BR>I&#039;m getting connection pooling errors when testing locally, so I want someone who knows to tell me whether there&#039;s an advantage to creating my own connection, or letting SqlHelper.FillDataset do it for me. In order to test different scenarios, I have to change a LOT of code...I&#039;m hoping newsgroup advice is quicker.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Default One of the cool things...

About the DAAB, is that it ships with the soruce code, so you can get in and see exactly what it&#039;s doing. <BR><BR>So, a quick look tells me that it *is* calling .Dispose() on the connection when it returns (via a using block).<BR><BR>The relevant method:<BR>[code language="C#"]<BR> public static void FillDataset(string connectionString, string spName,<BR> DataSet dataSet, string[] tableNames,<BR> params object[] parameterValues)<BR> {<BR> if( connectionString == null &#124&#124 connectionString.Length == 0 ) throw new ArgumentNullException( "connectionString" );<BR> if( dataSet == null ) throw new ArgumentNullException( "dataSet" );<BR> // Create & open a SqlConnection, and dispose of it after we are done<BR> using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(connectionString))<BR> {<BR> connection.Open();<BR><BR> // Call the overload that takes a connection in place of the connection string<BR> FillDataset (connection, spName, dataSet, tableNames, parameterValues);<BR> }<BR> }<BR>[/code]