New and frustrated

Thread: New and frustrated

Default New and frustrated

I'm a rather accomplished classic ASP developer. I am new to (about 3 days). I have a simple problem that I can't figure out. I want to have one add/edit form. If I pass a id to the form (querystring) the form values are filled out from db and the sumbit as an update; and if I don't pass a id the form does an insert. Simple enought right. My problem is if I load the data I have to use a datagrid to display the data in the form. Well, if I don't have a id (insert) the datagrid doesn't exist and the form doesn't display. I'm sure I'm going about this the wrong way. Any help will be great!

Default Well, I'm old and utterly lost... we probably are in deep trouble.<BR><BR>I give up. How come you *have* to use a datagrid to display the data? Yeah, that&#039;s one way, but not the only.<BR><BR>And why can&#039;t an empty datagrid exist? I&#039;ve certainly produced some empty ones with my code (usually when I didn&#039;t WANT them empty, but that&#039;s a different story).<BR><BR>The Add/Edit/Delete form is such a common occurence that there are several samples of ways to do this up on the various MS and MSDN web sites. <BR><BR>Or google for " add update delete form" and get more hits than you&#039;ll want.<BR><BR>Might look at (actually an MS site).<BR><BR>