Passing information to and from hidden ActiveX con

Thread: Passing information to and from hidden ActiveX con

Joseph Wyrembelski Guest

Default Passing information to and from hidden ActiveX con

My end goal is to have the root page of my site consist of nothing but a hidden ActiveX control. The ActiveX control will run and "pass" its information to the following page. I don&#039t want the user to see this process or have any control over it. <BR><BR>All the pieces are in place, now how do I make this happen? <BR><BR>Using forms? Using JavaScript? ASP? <BR><BR>ONE restriction is that the control must run and live on the client&#039s side. (on their first attempt - they will have to download the OCX but that is of no consequence)<BR>

Default RE: Passing information to and from hidden ActiveX

Sounds to me like you are trying to do something sneaky.<BR>You give them an OCX that does something nice but in the<BR>process they end up installing a "worm" on their system<BR>that allows you to get all kinds of info about them. It is<BR>this kind of stuff that makes me *NEVER* download *ANY* <BR>client-side ActiveX control.<BR><BR>Having said all that...<BR><BR>If you think you can get people to go along with this,<BR>then the easiest way would surely be to simply use a<BR>completely hidden form.<BR><BR>If all the fields in your form are TYPE=HIDDEN then<BR>nothing appears on the screen. Now you can use<BR> &#060;BODY onLoad="fillOutTheFormAndSendIt( );"&#062;<BR><BR>Your JS (or VBS, I guess...since you are going to download<BR>an OCX you are probably eliminating Netscape browser users,<BR>anyway) code invoked by the onLoad will access the ActiveX<BR>object, get the info, plunk the info into the hidden form <BR>fields, and then submit the form. Presto, the user ends<BR>up on the next (ASP) page and your ASP code has garnered all<BR>the secret info that you didn&#039t want the user to know he/she<BR>is sharing with you.<BR><BR>I *would* point out that if the user does a "View &#124 Source"<BR>of the page, and if they understand JS or VBS, they can<BR>probably figure out exactly what you are doing. Even though<BR>they may not know just what info your OCX is grabbing, they<BR>can surely figure out that you are passing stuff along to the<BR>next page.<BR><BR>I would guess that the only way to *truly* hide this would<BR>be with obfuscated JS or, perhaps, by using a Java applet<BR>to do the dirty work. That obfuscates it even more.<BR><BR>I hope I have misjudged your intentions, but no matter what<BR>don&#039t expect me to download your OCX.<BR><BR>Bill Wilkinson