Getting NTlogin or Ip behind firewall....

Thread: Getting NTlogin or Ip behind firewall....

Default Getting NTlogin or Ip behind firewall....

Thanks in advance for any help or insight into this dillema; <BR><BR>I have an ASP.NET application that installs software on a client&#039;s machine, these machines are not controled by our company, so many have different levels of firewall protection. Each client may have three or more PCs on his router, I need to establish something unique about each machine (Usually I would use the machine&#039;s IP address), but with some firewalls I don&#039;t get "real" info back from server variables. I also tried the following:<BR><BR>Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)<BR><BR> &#039;Build the info page<BR> getAllIps()<BR><BR>End Sub<BR><BR>Sub getAllIps()<BR> Try<BR> Dim sQ As New SelectQuery("select * from Win32_NetworkAdapter")<BR> Dim objSearch As New ManagementObjectSearcher(sQ)<BR> Dim netCard As ManagementObject<BR> Dim netIp As ManagementObject<BR> For Each netCard In objSearch.Get<BR> For Each netIp In netCard.GetRelated("Win32_NetworkAdapterConfigurat ion")<BR> If netIp("IPEnabled") Then<BR> Dim s As String() = netIp("IPAddress")<BR> Dim ipString As String<BR> For Each ipString In s<BR> Response.Write(ipString)<BR> Next<BR> End If<BR> Next<BR> Next<BR> Catch ex As Exception<BR> Response.Write(ex.Message)<BR> End Try<BR>End Sub<BR><BR>Which works on my local machine but not on the clients. Can anyone suggest a way to uniquely identify each machine behind a firewall without using ActiveX or cookies ?? This impersonation business is great for security but presents problems for us, kinda new to routers(been programming in ASP/ASP.NET for 15+ years), usually I get the IP with no problems.... Grateful thanks for any help :-)<BR><BR>-Warm regards, -Stephen<BR><BR>

Default RE: Getting NTlogin or Ip behind firewall....

You&#039;re going to have a tough time with this one. The short answer is no. There are simple too many variables, and too many security precautions preventing this. <BR><BR>You say that you&#039;re installing software on the client machines...Is this something that you could build into that instead? It makes a lot more sense there...And that would be far more feasible.