Deleting A Recordset

Thread: Deleting A Recordset

James Stansfield Guest

Default Deleting A Recordset

Hi, I have a problem with a MS Access db that is being referenced to my website via ODBC connections... The problem is simple, how do I delete a recordset?<BR>Once I open a recordset with a simple SQL command such as:<BR>SELECT * FROM table WHERE ID=1<BR>I find that if I issue the command:<BR>rs.delete<BR>I get the following error:<BR>---<BR>VBScript Errors Occured:<BR>Error Number=3704<BR><BR>Error Descr.=The operation requested by the application is not allowed if the object is closed.<BR><BR>Help Context=0<BR><BR>Source=Microsoft VBScript runtime error<BR><BR>---<BR>Can anyone help me?<BR>

Default RE: Deleting A Recordset

What do you mean, "Delete a recordset?" Do you want to delete a row in a table? Or an entire table? Or a set of rows in a table? Or are you wanting to delete the ASP recordset object? All of these things can be accomplished, I just need to know what you are trying to do, exactly! :) From your code, it appears as though you are wanting to delete a row in a table.<BR><BR>In my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to use a SQL command. If you want to delete the row where ID = 1, just run this SQL query:<BR><BR>DELETE FROM table WHERE ID=1<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

James Stansfield Guest

Ah! Yes that&#039s exactly what I want to do. Thank you.

But what if you are building your tables dynamically? How do you code for "deleting the current recordset?" (one row from the table...)

asphack Guest

Ok, well what if you have 2 or more primary key restraints on that record you are trying to delete? How do you at the same time delete the other 2 records in the 2 tables with the restraints using the same delete statement?<BR><BR>I am using the following (in ASP):<BR><BR>dim RecordToDelete<BR>RecordToDelete=CInt(Request.Form ("ID"))<BR>dim cmd<BR>Set cmd=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR>cmd.Ac tiveConnection=oConn<BR>cmd.CommandText="DELETE FROM Table1,Table2,Table3 WHERE Table1.ID=" & RecordToDelete & " AND Table2.ID=" & RecordToDelete & " AND Table3.ID=" & RecordToDelete<BR>cmd.Execute<BR>rs.Requery &#039This was the recordset created earlier<BR><BR>So, I keep getting an Incorrect Syntax error Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error &#039 80040e14&#039. What&#039s the problem with my sql statement?