Executing Windows programs with ASP

Thread: Executing Windows programs with ASP

paul_merton @ hotmail.com Guest

Default Executing Windows programs with ASP

Hi all!<BR><BR>I&#039ve been using the following code to execute a program on my web server:-<BR><BR> Set WShShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")<BR> progReponse = WShShell.Run ("program.exe", 0, True)<BR><BR>This results in the program&#039s output being fed into the progResponse variable.<BR><BR>But this is only really useful for executing programs on my server where the result is to be displayed on the client&#039s browser.<BR><BR>My question is: Is there any way of altering the above code so that I may execute Windows programs on my server? By this, I mean that I would like to be able to have a client access a particular page on my web server, which then automatically runs a Windows program that I CAN SEE on the screen on my web server.<BR><BR>Please let me know if it&#039s possible (if you could email your answers to me as well, then that would be extremely good!)<BR>Cheers ;-)<BR><BR>paul_merton @ hotmail.com

gsirett@hotmail.com Guest

Default RE: Executing Windows programs with ASP

wrap the exe in a com dll:<BR><BR>Create a COM dll in VB/C++<BR><BR>within the DLL you can then either load the EXE through com (if it supports it) or just use something like the shell statement<BR><BR>

paul_merton @ hotmail.com Guest

Default RE: Executing Windows programs with ASP

Cheers for that, but I&#039d really like to be able to do it without having to mess about with more COM objects; I&#039d rather use the standard ones that are supplied (anyhow, I&#039d rather write it in JDK1.2 ;)<BR><BR>Someone informed me that the Shell method I described previously would actually work if, for example, I set the IIS service and any interelated components up so that they may &#039interact with the desktop&#039 However, I&#039ve done that but to no avail...<BR><BR>The system it&#039s on at the mo is IIS4 / NT / SP3 but will ultimately end up going on IIS5 / win2k.<BR><BR>Any other ideas, anyone?