Provider error ' 80004005' Unspecified err

Thread: Provider error ' 80004005' Unspecified err

Daniel Guest

Default Provider error ' 80004005' Unspecified err

Whenever I connect to my ASP pages and open a db connnection, they work for a while then give me the following error:<BR><BR>Provider error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR>Unspecified error <BR><BR>It works on my local machine, but not online.<BR>I am using IIS4 with a<BR>remote Access 2000 database. I am making sure I have the following code at the bottom<BR>of my pages to close the connections, but it still dies:<BR><BR>&#039Close the connection<BR>oConn.close<BR>&#039Release the resources<BR>Set oConn = nothing<BR><BR>Do anyone know what I am missing or what is killing it?

WileE Guest

Default RE: Provider error ' 80004005' Unspecified

I have been battling the same error messages with limited success. Generally the problem seems to be more related to opening the connection than with closing it. <BR><BR>There are a series of 80004005 messages which are interpreted on the MS knowledge base as "can&#039t get to your data for some reason". Usually my 80004005 message is: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file &#039(unknown)&#039. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. <BR><BR>But I did get the Unspecified error message for a while. I checked my code very carefully and found a few things - I had declared my connection string variable connString, but then later used it as conString. On another page I had called the connection MyConn, but later used it as Myconn. Finally, I had been using a MapPath statement to make the connection (couldn&#039t get DSN to work) and was using (..) in the path i.e. ../../data/db.mdb. If you are using MapPath, it does not support (..) or (.). I found that it actually did work, sometimes, but when it didn&#039t I got the Unspecified error. Instead code in the full path. e.g.<BR><BR>Set MyConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") <BR>conString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=c:inetpubdatacrs_reg.mdb" <BR>MyConn.Open conString<BR><BR>Once I cleared those little details up, the Unspecifed error message went away, but I am still having the other 80004005 message come up on occasion.<BR><BR>Hope this is helpful,<BR><BR>WileE

Default RE: Provider error ' 80004005' Unspecified

I was getting this message when trying to use CDONTS AttachFile to attach a file from my client machine. The error does indeed mean &#039can&#039t get to your data for some reason&#039 and in this case the reason was that you can only attach a file found on the webserver, not a file on your client. P.S. Does anyone know a way to attach a file from the client?