Inserting values containing quotes into SQL

Thread: Inserting values containing quotes into SQL

Default Inserting values containing quotes into SQL

I am having trouble inserting a value from a text box into the database as the value in the text box contains a single quote. <BR>The code I am using at the moment looks like this...<BR><BR>TmpName = request.form("txtName")<BR>SqlStr = "INSERT Test(TestName) VALUES(&#039" & TmpName & "&#039)"<BR>TmpConn.Execute SqlStr<BR><BR>Is there any way that one can get around this problem?

John T. White Guest

Default RE: Inserting values containing quotes into SQL

That all depends on what the purpose is for. If the whole purpose is to show the data only on a website or some sort, you can use this code.<BR><BR>Your Code:<BR><BR>TmpName = request.form("txtName")<BR>SqlStr = "INSERT Test(TestName) VALUES(&#039" & TmpName & "&#039)"<BR>TmpConn.Execute SqlStr<BR><BR>The New Code:<BR><BR>TmpName = Replace(request.form("txtName"), "&#039", "&rsquo;")<BR>SqlStr = "INSERT Test (TestName) VALUES(&#039" & TmpName & "&#039)"<BR>TmpConn.Execute SqlStr<BR><BR>I am sure you can figure out what that does, but just in case.<BR><BR>The Replace commands takes the first value, searchs for the second value, and replaces it with the third value. So when you replace the single quote with the HTML eqvilent, it no longer causes any problems with the SQL Statement. Let me know if this helps.

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: Inserting values containing quotes into SQL

SqlStr = "INSERT Test(TestName) VALUES(&#039" & Replace(TmpName, "&#039", "&#039&#039") & "&#039)"<BR><BR><BR>Nathan Pond<BR><BR>essentially what you are doing ins replacing each single quote with 2 single quotes. SQL will interpret this as a single quote in the string.