Microsoft.XMLDOM vs MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0

Thread: Microsoft.XMLDOM vs MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0

Default Microsoft.XMLDOM vs MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0

hello<BR>I have a few questions re: XML that i hope to resolve here before i go any further.. <BR><BR>In an article titled &#039;Accessing XML data using ASP&#039; that i found on your web site, the author creates an instance of an XML dom document as follows: <BR>Set mydoc = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")<BR><BR>He then goes on, after setting a few more parameters, and loads an xml file to be parsed through the rest of the code.<BR><BR>However another article ive since been looking at seems to do the exact same thing with<BR><BR>&#039;Create MSXML 4.0 DOMDocument instance<BR>Dim objXMLDoc<BR>Set objXMLDoc = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0")<BR>< BR>&#039;Load sites.xml file present in the same directory as this ASP page<BR>objXMLDoc.async = False<BR>objXMLDoc.validateOnParse = False<BR>objXMLDoc.resolveExternals = False<BR><BR>Dim bLoadResult<BR>bLoadResult = objXMLDoc.load(Server.MapPath("sites.xml")) <BR><BR>etc..<BR><BR>now what id like to know is: What is the difference between these two methods??<BR><BR>What i the difference between Microsoft.XMLDOM and MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0 ??<BR><BR>Are these just two versions of the MSXML parser or what??<BR><BR>Im a bit more aquainted with the first method so i would probably like to stick with that , but i notice that, in Brinksters hosting comparison chart, they only list XML 4.0 as a technology they support.<BR><BR>Does that mean that id have to implement the second method for my web pages to work on Brinkster.. or is this version (XML 4.0) compatible with all previous versions?<BR><BR>I found msxml2.dll, msxml3.dll, msxml2r.dll, msxml3r.dll after doing a system search... (and i donno what else)<BR><BR>Now if i was to upgrade my system to support XML 4.0 , can i do that by installing Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 SP 4 from the microsoft web site?? or do i have to go for download 3. ie. the Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (see below)??<BR><BR><BR>A listing of available downloads from <BR><BR>MSXML Downloads<BR><BR>1. Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 SP 4<BR>Microsoft XML Parser(MSXML) Service Pack 4 (SP4) is a complete replacement of MSXML 3.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and below. MSXML 3.0 SP4 provides a number of security and bug fixes.<BR>Date: July 10, 2003<BR> <BR><BR>2. Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 SP4 SDK<BR>The Microsoft XML Parser(MSXML) 3.0 SP4 SDK includes header and .lib files, and documentation for the MSXML 3.0 Release. The MSXML 3.0 SDK includes documentation for server-safe HTTP access, XSLT (Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations)/XPath (XML Path Language), and SAX2 (Simple API for XML).<BR>Date: July 10, 2003<BR> <BR><BR>3. Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2<BR>This is the service pack 2 release of Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0, formerly called the Microsoft XML Parser. This version has a number of improvements compared to MSXML 3.0<BR>Date: April 28, 2003<BR><BR>Hope you can help <BR><BR>regards<BR><BR>mb<BR>

Default Look at the *dates* on those articles...

Chances are, the article about MSXML is from 1998 or 1999.<BR><BR>*NOTHING* ever gets "cleaned out" on this site. Not even the old messages in the forum. Everything ever written or posted here is still here, from 1998 onwards.<BR><BR>Incidentally, you said "on your web site." The only person that "your" applies to is Scott Mitchell, and even that only somewhat. 97% of the info and answers on this site come from volunteers who have no formal association with the site, at all.<BR><BR>You read old out-of-date articles at your own risk.<BR><BR>Are these just two versions of the MSXML parser or what??<BR>Yep, and one is no longer supported.<BR><BR>