ASP Discussion Board User Help Needed

Thread: ASP Discussion Board User Help Needed

UserLooser Guest

Default ASP Discussion Board User Help Needed

Hi,<BR><BR>I am a "heavy" user of on particular ASP discussion board, "". (I am a member of the site&#039s sponsoring club but I am not involved directly with the webmastering duties.) This board has each thread condensed or unexpanded by default. It is too time consuming to try to expand EVERY older thread to see if new posts have been added.<BR><BR>Until recently I have been using the built in Search function to search for the string " ". The result would give me ALL the board&#039s posts listed in cronlogical order. In this way I could keep up with EVERY post ever made no matter where or when it was posted. Now I get the error message:<BR>--------------------------------------<BR>454SS General Discussion Forum<BR><BR>Search Results:<BR><BR>Your search for ‘ ’ found 3957 matches.<BR>error &#039ASP 0113&#039 <BR><BR>Script timed out <BR><BR>/site/forum/search.asp <BR><BR>The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeOut or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.<BR>--------------------------------<BR><BR>1) Are there any alternatives for me to use that would limit the Search function to say 1,000 results? What should I tell the site&#039s webmaster?<BR><BR>2) Is there any way to "wildcard" the "expand= " thing in my browser&#039s location window? Example:<BR><BR><BR><BR>Where the "4936" is the particular thread that is expanded, can wildcards be substituted for the "4936" that will expand ALL threads?<BR> <BR><BR>Thanks for any help!

Default RE: ASP Discussion Board User Help Needed

Basically, due to the number of messages that have built up in the mesage board database, the asp page doesn&#039t have enough time to output it all before the server times the page out.<BR><BR>The only way around that is to get the site adimistrator to increase the timeout, which they probably don&#039t want to do, in order to protect performance.<BR><BR>Or you could ask them to re-write the message board to give you an &#039expand all&#039 option, as it looks like the code can only expand on thread at a time. I don&#039t think they&#039ll want to do that.<BR><BR>Are you sure you want to see all the threads on on screen?

UserLooser Guest

Default RE: ASP Discussion Board User Help Needed

Hi Jerome,<BR><BR>Thanks for the response. Well, I don&#039t reall need to see all the threads expanded. What I really want is to see all the "unseen" messages no matter how old the threads are that the new posts are in. Is there any way to Search by date? Then I could just ask for all posts "since" a given date.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>LM