HTTP server variables like USER_LOGON

Thread: HTTP server variables like USER_LOGON

Gautam Sarthy Guest

Default HTTP server variables like USER_LOGON

In my Intranet with all user using IE 4.0 and above I want the asp page to display their network userid,Domain and their Ip address. When I use this code it does not work. <BR>&#060;%<BR>Dim varUserID, varIP<BR>varUserID = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")<BR>varIP = Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR")<BR>%&#062;<B R>&#060;input type="text" name="user" value="&#060;%= varUserID %&#062;"&#062;<BR>&#060;input type="text" name="IP" value="&#060;%= varIP %&#062;"&#062;<BR>Can you Pls. tell me what is wrong. In LOCAL_ADDR is returning me only the server IP address.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Matt Law Guest

Default RE: HTTP server variables like USER_LOGON

This is exactly the same reason I am here..<BR><BR>I&#039m guessing, but I think its the limitation of PWS on NT workstation.<BR><BR>I&#039m getting the impression, that to use these kind of security facilities, we would have to get NT4 Server and IIS3 :-(<BR><BR>I&#039m looking now for a work around.. <BR><BR>Anyone?<BR><BR>Matt

Are you using security - either Basic or NT Challenge/Response? I believe it has to be on (ie disallow anonymous access) in order to capture Logon_User info.

Mark Guest

The server variable REMOTE_USER is always null when Anonymous Authentication is used. This Server Variable is only populated when you authenticate the user via either NT Challengr/Response Authentication, or basic Authentication.<BR><BR>Via your IIS settings, you must enforce authentication if you want to populate the Server Variable REMOTE_USER.<BR><BR>You can enforce authentication by eliminating (unchecking)Anonymous Authentication and enforcing (checking) either Basic Authentication or NT Challenge/Response Authentication methods for the ASP files you want to authenticate.<BR><BR>This will solve your problem ;)