Dynamic Drop Downs

Thread: Dynamic Drop Downs

Default Dynamic Drop Downs

hello......<BR><BR>i have a page with two drop down menus.<BR><BR>i would like to make a selection in the first drop down menu and have that selection determine what will appear in the second drop down.<BR><BR>any ideas? thank you very much.

Default RE: Dynamic Drop Downs

Just make the form in the first drop down submit itself to the same page, then depending on the item that was selected writed the second drop down accordingly.<BR>

Default Hmmmmm

i was thinking i could do something like that, but i think it might be slow.<BR><BR>there must be a way to use javascript to influence what is displayed in the drop down.

Default RE: Hmmmmm

Yes, I know there is, but I am not into javascript...

Well, what type of data? Is it a lot? Is it from a database?<BR><BR>Yes, you can dynamically change through JS... but sometime it is easier to take care of it on the server -- it just depends on how much data you&#039;re talking about.

well, it&#039;s kind of a substantial amount of info.........<BR><BR>like this:<BR><BR>first drop down menu:<BR><BR>Last Name<BR>Computer ID<BR>IP Address<BR>Phone<BR><BR>then the second drop down menu would display either:<BR><BR>about 200 last names that i need to pull from active directory<BR><BR>OR<BR><BR>about 200 Computer ID&#039;s<BR><BR>OR you get the picture......

So, are you talking about 1000 potential options in total? If so then this is not a great deal. Is it an Intranet or Internet site? If Intranet and accessed via the LAN then 1000 lines is certainly not a lot. In fact I just checked one of my pages that has 6 cascading drop downs and a total of 2104 lines of html to contain them and the rest of the form. It appears on my screen in less than 2 seconds and that includes the numerous reads from the database to build and populate the form.