Web Development Question (Process)

Thread: Web Development Question (Process)

Default Web Development Question (Process)

Hello,<BR><BR> A number of people in my organization are using the following methodology to develop Web applications to run on IIS v5/ASP Web servers:<BR><BR>1. Create VB application (using VB6).<BR>2. Save .CTL and .VBP files.<BR>3. Make .OCX file.<BR>4. Package and make into a .CAB file.<BR>5. Create HTML web page that makes call to .CAB file via &#060;OBJECT&#062; tag.<BR><BR>I have never programmed Web applications this way. I have always used Notepad/Visual InterDev to "nug" the HTML/JavaScript/ASP tags and coding.<BR><BR>I&#039;m interested in several things:<BR><BR>1. Is there anything "negative" about using the VB/OCX/CAB file Web development methodology to accomplish Web programming?<BR><BR>2. Does this same VB/OCX/CAB file Web development methodology still apply when in a .NET/ASP.NET environemnt. <BR><BR>E.g. Can/should Web apps be developed using this methodology in .NET/ASP.NET?<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR>Mark McKamey<BR>Mark.McKamey@us.army.mil

Default RE: Web Development Question (Process)

Answers.<BR><BR>1) Well, aside from the fact that browsers other than IE (and certainly operating systems other than Windows) will not work with it. Also, from a security point of view, I&#039;d say it&#039;s a bit of a bad idea. Even with the correct browser and the correct operating system, if you have certain security settings off, you may have a problem.<BR><BR>2) Dunno - not a .NET bloke, but I&#039;d doubt it.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve never heard of this being done on a wide scale. Certainly not for anything outside an intranet where the browsers/operating systems can be controlled, at least.<BR><BR>Craig.

Default Ewww...

What you&#039;re doing is downloading an ActiveX control. Not really web development, it&#039;s client server development where you package the app in IE.<BR><BR>Lots of negatives...<BR>It&#039;s an IE only solution.<BR>You have all the standard deployment issues that are associated with client server apps.<BR>Changes to the app must be downloaded and installed before taking effect.<BR><BR>There&#039;s something to be said for compiling the data access/business layers into a .dll, but not the presentation.<BR><BR>Can you develop with that methodology in .NET? Sure. If you want to negate every advantage .NET gives you.